Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Danny241085

Red Sea Reefer 170 - Back after a few years away

27 posts in this topic

Well after a long 3 years away from marine's I finally decided it was time to get back up and running again.

Below is my spe:

Red Sea Reefer 170 in White
AI Hydra 26 HD in White LED System
Aqua Medic DC Runner 3.1 Return Pump
Bubble Magus C3.5 Protein Skimmer
Bubble Magus Mini 70 Media Reactor
VorTech QD MP10

I decided to go for aquaroche as my rock, used it previously and like the scapes you can make without the hassle of searching out for the right pieces of live rock.

Start-up was done by using the red sea mature kit, first time I have used this and subsequently found that the timing of the programme are based on using live rock, so my levels haven't really matched what is expected.

Still struggling with high nitrates of around 40ppm and recently had a bacteria bloom, but have dropped the NOPOX dose right back and cloudiness now seems to have stopped.

Amm and Nitrite levels are at 0ppm, but the phos also shows 0ppm so need that to become detectable to balance things out.

I am using the normal red sea salt and intent to use the red sea programme once things get moving coral wise.

First purchase was the CUC: 4 common hermits (none of which seem to have done very well), 2 Super turbo snails who are motoring around and 4 snorkel snails

Last weekend I added my 2 clown fish and they are doing well.

Things I still need to consider:

- Nitrate control: either Cheato or algae reactor (ALR)

- Dosing system

- New ATU (the reefer 170 ATU is just too small)

Anyway enough of the talking, here are some pics.

5af69f06aa334_tankphoto.thumb.jpeg.1a6477c5f2b02baa2620c92a73df2397.jpeg

Sump.jpeg

Tank.thumb.jpeg.47fe8b594a24f31b6897f3c1b5a6a7ae.jpeg5af69f83a63e9_TankCLose.thumb.jpeg.a4697cf40a9a31929c1a19998097e5cf.jpeg

file.thumb.jpeg.a9dff4a5b1ab6dee3c0de9181f6df830.jpeg

Nice one. Much the same as you im also back after a 4 year break.Whats your plans stocking wise?

Good to see you back pal

Nice one. Much the same as you im also back after a 4 year break.Whats your plans stocking wise?

Thanks[mention=4502]alfie[/mention], Not sure yet on stocking plans yet, want to concentrate on coral, but an algae blenny and/or a blue cheek goby are pencilled in on the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see you back pal

Thanks mate, your tanks looking bloody amazing. Might have to pop round sometime soon and catch up.

5 hours ago, Danny241085 said:

Thanks[mention=4502]alfie[/mention], Not sure yet on stocking plans yet, want to concentrate on coral, but an algae blenny and/or a blue cheek goby are pencilled in on the list

Thanks mate, your tanks looking bloody amazing. Might have to pop round sometime soon and catch up.

More than welcome to pal

cheers 

The cloudy water will be a bacterial bloom from over dosing Nopox 

as a general rule sps are best kept at 

N03 1-2

p08 0.08- 0.1

keeping them in detectable can cause cyano bateria 

if you are running the Red Sea program then why not use nopox instead of a reactor ? 

Regarding the ATU I removed the Red Sea one and added a tunze osmolator with an 80l container 

3 hours ago, mrdave said:

More than welcome to pal

cheers 

The cloudy water will be a bacterial bloom from over dosing Nopox 

as a general rule sps are best kept at 

N03 1-2

p08 0.08- 0.1

keeping them in detectable can cause cyano bateria 

if you are running the Red Sea program then why not use nopox instead of a reactor ? 

Good point on the nopox instead of a reactor.

Just looking into dosers now, things have moved on a bit since I last had one, seems to be more with wifi connectivity which is interesting.  

3 hours ago, mrdave said:

Regarding the ATU I removed the Red Sea one and added a tunze osmolator with an 80l container 

I'm going for a reefloat atu, container in the garage piped into the sump

Yes mate kamoer coral box are WiFi and Red Sea are about to release some too

then you have GHL and Apex 

Just to add to what Dave said I bought the kamoer x4. to be honest I was a bit worried about setting it up but it really is easy. The calibration is a breeze and if you need to adjust the doses it calculates it itself, in that I mean you want to dose 50ml a day you tell it how many times you want to dose and it calculates it all of the app on the phone. Well worth the money in my opinion 

Edited by alfie

Ill sort you some frags at weekend if you like mate, will get you started @Danny241085

Very kind offer @mrdave thank. Going to give my parameters a check tonight and will see how they are,

Will see if you think the frags will be ok in there, then I should be able to pop round this weekend for some and a catch up.

af42c13d3d67f4b1684c9deb707ce971.jpg

Well my results still aren’t great.

Phos - still at 0 can’t seem to increase this.
Nitrate - slowly coming down but higher than I want
Amm and Nitrite - think these are as a result of a couple of snails dying over the past couple of days

Any words of wisdom from people?

@Danny241085

what test kits are you using ? Test kits have moved on massively in accuracy

if you like I can test your water for you 

All results are tested with the red sea test kits. are there better ones to use than these?

Might be good to get a second opinion. 

Those are the ones I use pal

the pro test kits 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.