Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Damo666

Aqua medic antired

I've just acquired a bottle of aqua medic antired from an lfs on their advice as I'm struggling to rid my tank of cyanobacteria. I didn't go in for that, I actually wanted to upgrade my aqua one wavemakers, settling on a pair of TMC reef tide 6000. I'm hoping the greater range of control through the programmable controller will give better flow. The aqua ones could only be on a set power, either on for a preset time or off. So, back to the treatment. I've no experience of any cyano treatment. I tried to research this one but didn't come up with much. I never put anything in my system that I don't know the pros and cons of, so would appreciate any feedback if anyone is familiar with this product. Thanks.

I too have a bottle of anti-red (and chemiclean!) but never tried either. I wouldn't put too much faith in increasing flow as that is just going to disguise an underlying issue. There are a few theories as to the cause of cyano and my own is that it is due to an imbalance of bacteria vs available nutrients. So if you out compete the cyano bacteria with another 'good' bacteria (Dr.Tims etc) AND resolve any nutrient issues/imbalance problems you have, the cyano should start to disappear. I'm not a huge fan of adding chemicals unless it is a last resort. They should never be used as a quick fix imo as the effects will likely only be temporary and therefore the risk outweighs the (temporary) benefits.

Do's:

...Decrease lighting schedule and/or intensity

...Balance nutrients

..Introduce competing strains of good bacteria.

Don't:

...Turkey baste areas where cyano is. It will spread rapidly. What you need to do is 'suck' up any carpet cyano with the baster and dispose of all water sucked up along with the bacteria. When i get it I suck it out with a pipe when doing a waterchange.

...Overdose! Obvious one but you can overdose with chemicals and nuke your tank. In effect you will be nuking your bacteria in your tank, both good and bad. This will have a large effect on your tanks ability to deal with existing nutrients and may cause a new cycle.

Just my thoughts - I'm sure there are many other theories with different recommendations :)

As I have said before Cyano is 99% of the time caused by an imbalance / lack of N03- P04 in our systems.

Have I used a slime remover in the past - YES

Did it remove the Cyano - YES

Did Cyano return - YES

Whilst the product can and does remove the cyano it does not illuminate the cause of it ! Its like having a cold and wiping a runny nose, yes the snots gone but the colds still there and the snot will return

Deade spots in our system will lead to a build up of nutrients - therefore a large food source for all sorts of unwanted pests and algaes in our systems. A good circulation and water changes will sort the dead spots and stranded nutrients but whilst increasing the flow I personally would add carbon and double water changes for the next few weeks.

thanks to both of you for your replies, definitely some good advice there lads

Cheered Damo 

we try to help where we can 

you certainly do mate, and that's what makes a good forum a priceless resource, especially if you a bit isolated from fellow reefers as I am.

Cheers pal 

the more people post the more we learn