Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

mrdave

Dosing made simple

I thought I would write this post as there has been a few questions of late regarding dosing. This is my take on it and not set in stone but it works for me.

If there is anything I have not covered or something you do not understand then please let me know.

Why do we dose ?

We dose our systems to ensure the optimum levels of the 3 main foundation elements are kept stable to ensure the health and growth of our delicate animals are kept at an optimum.

Foundation elements are:

1.  (Calcium)

Ca is an essential element for the growth of our corals, inverts, clams, LPS and Sps It is key to keep Ca stable and at the optimum level.

2. Alkalinity

The alkalinity is the waters ability to resist Ph changes. In our systems the animals constantly release acids that would without buffering the Alk drop the Ph

3. Mg (magnesium)

Magnesium is a very abundant element that keeps the Ca and Alk  (dKH)stable, the chances are that if you are struggling keeping Ca and Alk (dKH) stable then the Mg is not balanced.

When magnesium is too low then Ca generally precipitates and is not taken up into the water column. If the Magnesium is too high it can have an adverse effect on the inverts and pod life in the system.

Knowing our system

Before we start dosing we need to know our systems uptake and requirements. We do this by monitoring our system. Perform a test and log the results, wait 3 days then test again- simply divide the drop by 3 and you have your uptake.

There are many products on the market and you must apply their calculations to get the correct dosage.

Setting up the doser

Locate the doser above the dosing vessels and ensure non return valves are placed on the intake and delivery  end of the pump.

Ensure you follow the manufacturers instructions and calibrate the unit before use.

Make sure you cut the end of the tube in the vessel at approximately 45 degrees this will prevent the tube creating a vacuum and sticking to the bottom of the vessel and not dosing.

The delivery end of the tubing should dose into a high flow area typically the return pump section, this will ensure the chemicals are well mixed.

Dosing Sequence

1. Ca (Calcium)

2. Mg (magnesium)

3. Alk (Alkalinty)

Leave a minimum of 1 hour between doses to make sure the liquid has been circulated through the water column to prevent precipitation.

If you are dosing amounts over 30Ml I personally would split them into 2,3 or 4 doses depending on the amount and in sequence with the other chemicals.

Monitor your system after a day and record the results this way you can tweak the amounts to ensure stability.

I would always advise to keep your parameters in line with the brand of salt you are using and remember

NEVER DOSE SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE NOT TESTING FOR !!!!

There are many other elements we can and do dose and I will do another thread on this at a later date

Nice simple guide mate:good:

Thanks buddy I'm sure even I can follow this haha