Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

DJ23bol

Setting up a holding/QT tank

Hey guys so with setting up my new tank I will be going with dry rock and trying to keep unwanted pests to a minimum so I've got an 100l tank that I'm thinking of turning into a coral/fish holding tank so that I can inspect and monitor them for a month or two before adding them to my main reef.

I do have a carrier bag of alfagrog that I'm planning on using in the rear sump as the tank won't have rock in I'm going to make a frag shelf unit with 2-3 tiers and add some pvc tubing for fish to hide in.

So has anyone any advice or tips this will be my first holding tank but I've been toying with the idea for a year or so after having nudis come in on some zoas I bought in the past. Also a friend of mine got some zoas from a fish shop in Manchester and they had nudis aswell.

I know that there's always a risk when adding new inhabitants to your tank of introducing a nasty or bug of some sort but I would just like to reduce this risk, i will also be dipping new additions before they go into the holding tank.dc5d56cebc16552251474e81ab65172e.jpgc13553becd34fd09d289a788cdae41a6.jpg9d4adc354ee774a89ea328cf55dacb23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Think I may swap the alfagrog for marine pure or something like that

I haven't used either so can not really comment other than alfagrog is natural as apposed to a man made product

Might just go with the Alfagrog.. basically with this just being a holding tank I'm not wanting to throw loads of money at it it will have all basic equipment that's fit for purpose at most it's going to have a semi-decent light like an LED tile or something for when the corals go in. I've found some cheap return pumps so going to pick one up on payday and fill it with RO and test for leaks and then give the media an RO bath for a week or so to pull out all the brad pit and stuff as it was sat in the garden in the rain.

Went into a local fish shop today and spotted an urchin carrying some zoas and a massive Nudibranch on them so it's definitely made me want to set up this holding/QT tank 66b6dfdbed7608d1a6b37d28eeb133c1.jpg5f6680399cb1c16542f982b2a3f64ffa.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean by holding tank. Did you point the pest out to them ? Which shop was it ? (BAS??)

I personally dip my corals if im in doubt - Detol all the way for me .

Yeah it was BAS the guy noticed me taking the photo so came over haha when I pointed it out he just totally ignored it. Then again most of them are like zombies in there. My Mrs had to nip into the office at work so while she was there I had a drive down to nosey they have some new Red sea stuff in so I could check out the live sands and the foundation elements while I was there.

Yeah I've got a bottle of dettol in the cupboard ready I'm going to dip all corals aswell.

I haven't been in a long long time mate, last time I went it was so bad I promised never to go again .

Red Sea is the way IMO. I wouldn't bother with the live sand if I am completely honest. Get a cup full of sand from a fellow reefer and add it to yours ,during the cycle period it will introduce the bacteria to the new sand.

I haven't been in a long long time mate, last time I went it was so bad I promised never to go again .
Red Sea is the way IMO. I wouldn't bother with the live sand if I am completely honest. Get a cup full of sand from a fellow reefer and add it to yours ,during the cycle period it will introduce the bacteria to the new sand.
I wasn't particularly looking for a live sand just the red sea reef pink sand caught my eye and then the ocean white looked amazing aswell was just good to see compare them in person

Well the holding QT tank is setup lol ended up going to a friend's who was closing down and got a load of bits it's running and has some rock in it at the min 😂. 

20170929_183551.jpg

20170929_160926.jpg

Well This tank is now officially my partners soon to be mini reef got some bacteria in a bottle today and my friend who was shutting down came round with his last fish that no-one would come for a Tiny black clown fish. Now I'm not normally a fan of the add fish straight away witch craft bottles but what the Mrs wants the Mrs gets so in went Mr clown! So a quick re-scape and some quick photos and she's off. I suppose I need to create a tank thread for her lol might see if she will join up and add to it herself lol 

20170930_184528.jpg

20170930_184537.jpg

20170930_184545.jpg

I’m not a fan of it but hope it works out