Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

wraith

Hi Guys

54 posts in this topic

Wish I had that much space to play with!

Hi guys, just got home again from working away to find the skimmer keeps overflowing. I'm thing of a Bubble Magus replacement - does anyone have experience of them and are they OK please ?

What skimmer do you have ? 

Skimmers can take a while to bed in as a new system the bioload will fluctuate 

Hi Dave, I just got a cheap one originally  a Boyu DG-2516 however it's gone haywire and started overflowing all the time so it's going back before it floods my living room :(

I'd advise you to get a deltec MC series skimmer pricey but good

Hi Dave, I got a bubble Magus C3 HOB for the time being this morning, seems OK at the moment till after my holidays :)

Skimmer poss going nuts due to the filter socks you put on, they have something on them that makes my skimmer go nuts (Bubble Magnus)!! Give them a good rinse in RO first, works for me. 

Tank looking great BTW! 👍🏼

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies and advice. Week 7 I think and back home again, the corals are growing nicely, the clean up crew are doing well and the fish are all getting along. I've added a bicolour blenny and a long nosed hawkfish. It took a couple of days for the hawkfish to stop hiding against either the heaters or the thermostat rod. My Nitrate levels are now finally where they should be and the brown crap on the glass is dissappearing (the snails are munching through it at a steady pace :)) my PH is constant at 8, my salinity again is constant at 1.024 and everything looks hunky dory so far. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed it now.P1140741.thumb.JPG.c06376d3565c0e3c2d77e279c9407052.JPG

By the way, I've noticed a little brown anemone type thing growing on a piece of rock I got that had been used before -does anyone know what it is and let me know if it's good or bad please. If it's bad how do I get rid of it please ? I've tried to post a pic of it but I get a notification saying I can't cause I posted the other pic so I'll try and post it on the new tank part ?

Hi,  after checking youtube I think it's aiptasia, I'm thinking of pulling the other corals off the rock and taking out the rock. If i bake the rock or boil it for 1/2 hour or so will that be enough to get rid of it or should I just dump the rock and find a brand new flatish piece for the bridge that my shrimp lives in ?

Boiling it should be fine. You could just put a small piece of milliput over the nem which would save you a lot of hassle. Chances are though if there's one in the tank, more will have already seeded unless you are incredibly lucky.

Hi, thanks for the advice re aiptasia. I've removed the other corals from the rock and baked the rock at gas mark 5 for 2 hours, so I'm hoping thats killed it. There was also 2 small shells growing under the rock when I checked it that couldn't be seen when it was in place. They were about 3 - 4 mm and brown and looked a bit like mussels so I left them on to bake also. If i get any more aiptasia I'll try the milliput - will they not release spores as I put the milliput over them ?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, The rock is now very dead, so I'm leaving it in old water from my water change today in a bucket for a week. I'll then rinse it off in RODI and glue it back in next Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that no spores were dropped after removing the rock very carefully and slowly to try to avoid the spores. My tank looks half empty without that one piece :(

On a brighter note :) got some decent live brine shrimp (about 5 - 8mm) and my hawkfish is now suddenly VERY active chasing them. I've put a small sheet of sea veggies up for my tank but it doesn't seem interested at all. So i'll give it a couple of days then use another piece with garlic guard if it's no joy on the original piece.

Hi, Thursday, Back from working away again. The dead rock is still soaking in "old" water from the change on Sunday. Found a small aptasia on a small rock one of my GSP sits on so covered it in aquascape epoxy putty out of the water immediately. Just hoping it's the only one and that the expoxy remedy works. Was very carefull taking the rock out so as not to disturb it. The GSP hasn't comeout since last Sunday and I'm worried that somethings wrong. All the reading were good except for the nitrate :( so I'm hoping it's not serious, all the other corals look ok and are out so maybe it was the aptasia being right next to it ?

I'll keep you updated as things progress

Hi :) rock is now washed etc and back in the tank - had a problem with the bubble magus E3 already - I've found that when I did my water change yesterday I topped it up slightly more than normal. This made the skimmer overflow constantly no matter what i did to the intake etc. so I took out about 1 1/2 gallon and it's working OK again - is that normal for a skimmer to be sensitive to the water levels ?