wraith

Hi Guys

37 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm new to reefing :( I've only ever kept freshwater but after a couple of hours with Big Dave and some time with Kraken Corals I've taken the plunge and I'm started a tank. The tank is a 65 gallon tank which took me ages to fully clean out after keeping an alligator snapping turtle in before this. Wish me luck please and I'm sure I'm going to be posting lots of questions as I learn and go along with the tank.

A big thanks to Dave and Kraken Corals for the helpful advice.

Cheers Chris

1 person likes this

Hi Chris
Welcome to reef face
If you so wish Now would be a good time to start a diary so we can follow your progress right from the beginning with lots of pictures to.
Until then good luck with your new venture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for your welcome, I'll take some photos tomorrow and get them online. I've taken the advice regarding using colony and put a couple of clowns and 3 Chronis in (hope I've spelt that right lol)

They seem happy and are eating ok. Going to get the water tested for nitrates etc. this weekend. My refractometer arrived today so going to read the instructions (steep learning curve) and test.

1 person likes this

I wouldn't add any more fish for a while imo you need to let colony do its job and let it build up the good bacteria to handle your fish Bio load for a length of time. And make sure you have no ammonia also keep an eye on your No3 as you want that down to reasonable levels first, before you move on.

How are you running your system do you have a sump or are you running with external filter have you got any rock and what type, and what type of equipment have you got flow pumps lighting filters etc.

Hi Chris and welcome to Reef Face. Glad I could help you get your head around a few things.

As Grant has said don't add any more fish for the time being and allow the tank to build up a bio filter.

Looking forward to the pictures

Hi Guys,

Thanks Dave and Grant. I'm running a HOB hydro-ripple aerator and a 1400l p/h canister filter which also aerates, 2 heaters (1 is a back up with a slightly lower temp - tank is constant at 26.7C). The lighting is a high lumen 38w ALED132 LED, the blower is a Jecod SW-8 wavemaker, I also have a HOB 1400l p/h protein skimmer on the way. The rocks were ocean rocks from Kraken (about 16KG I think) and the substrate is Reeflowers Pearl White Sand 1mm - 1.5mm (25kg).

Do I need anything else please ? Dom is going to check my water this weekend and I was thinking of a couple of softies for the rocks if the water comes back fine.

I appreciate the advice and look forwards to hearing back.

Thanks

Chris

1 person likes this

P1140663.JPG

1 person likes this

looking good Chris. This hobby is not a quick one. Take your time and build it up the way you want to .

Hi :)

Skimmer arrived today but I was advised to wait 2 - 3 weeks before I put it on, a quick question please - the fish are about 1 inch long  is it better to use flakes or micro pellets and how often ?

Thanks

Chris

It's entirely up to you really imo they're both as good as each other you could use both One in the morning and The other in the afternoon in small amounts,

As for the skimmer I would get it up and running straight away it will take a few weeks to probably work properly anyway.

Hi,

I'll go set it up :)  thanks for the advice :)

Water test time tomorrow morning - I'll keep you posted

1 person likes this

Good luck

Hi, BTW do I run the skimmer 24/7 and just run it dry when I'm feeding please ?

Thanks

Chris

No running 24 seven it will bedding quicker.

Hi  thanks for that, had water tested every reading where it should be so happy days so far :)

1 person likes this