theharks

Been Away - Tank In Poor Shape .... suggestions please ?

20170419_180741.jpg20170419_180736.jpg20170419_180805.jpg20170419_180751.jpg20170419_180747.jpg

20170419_180803.jpg

Sorry didnt know how to add comments 

This is my tank - I've been away and its not been looked after properly - please look at the pictures and give any advice you can

Phos and Nitrates are too high - I've started water changes and cleaned the tank a little 

Started treatment with Phos and Nitrate remover today ....

Thanks 

The only thing I see as a problem is the Aiptasia. Nothing much reliably kills them without causing more to crop up. I had great success with a copperband butterfly. Turf algae is easily sorted with a tang or foxface. Most angels will eat sponges. There are of course chemical alternatives but imo they should only be used as a last resort.

Ok - didnt want to introduce a couple of fish to it in this state but wanted to avoid as many chemicals as possible

I've ordered a couple of peppermint shrimps and CUC to see if they can eat through the algae and aiptasia.

Ive banged a bristleworm trap in there and have taken out 25 so far and theres still loads left so hopefully they will be eaten by the crew when it arrives tomorrow

Will keep you posted 

Bristleworms are great CUC. Why are you taking them out?

Really .... been told they are not great for the tank ?

Dunno who told you that but they are talking out of their backsides. Bristleworms are scavengers that will eat fish poo, uneaten food etc. They will eat fish, snails etc but only if they are dead. Eunice worms and fireworms you want rid of for sure but bristleworms are beneficial to your tank. I wouldn't be without them.

Great to know - CUC introduced today 

Will take tank readings tomorrow and see if the Phos and Nitrate levels are dropping !

Hows this going, have you won the battle?