mr tap water

Stray voltage

How do you know when you've got stray voltage in your tank water and has anyone ever experienced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can apperently test with a multimeter but its not 100% reliable and you also have to consider that there will be certain amounts of stray voltage which is unavoidable (pumps etc).

I think a multi meter is the only way combined with switching off equipment one bit of kit at a time to highlight where it is coming from.

What is making you think you have stray voltage Grant?

It was just every now and again I get the odd static shock when I first put my hand in the water but doesn't happen all the time.

Stray voltage wouldn't normally give you a shock per say as the voltage wouldn't be high enough to shock you - stray voltage in the common sense would be undetectable by touch. Certainly sounds like an electrical issue you're having though if you are getting shocks. With the shocks being intermittent and I note you recently bought some glass heaters; that would be the first place I would check. If there is ANY sign of condensation inside the units (look rely close) then get rid as they will leak heavy metals and you really do not want to deal with that.

Stray voltage wouldn't normally give you a shock per say as the voltage wouldn't be high enough to shock you - stray voltage in the common sense would be undetectable by touch. Certainly sounds like an electrical issue you're having though if you are getting shocks. With the shocks being intermittent and I note you recently bought some glass heaters; that would be the first place I would check. If there is ANY sign of condensation inside the units (look rely close) then get rid as they will leak heavy metals and you really do not want to deal with that.

Could be right there on the glass heaters before replacing them with new ones The ones I did have one of them had what look like moisture inside ,
Since replacing haven't had any static so far whether this is a co Incidents I'm not sure I guess time will tell.

Hopefully no nasties leaked out. Have you considered titanium heaters? I'll never use glass heaters again.

I was going to get to titanium heaters The only reason I didn't in the end was because they don't come with stats and was looking at a safety backup measure when I connected them to my controller.