mr tap water

RO water V calibrating fluid

With Refractometer I've been reading a lot of controversial things about the two,

like it makes no difference, you should only use calibrated fluid ,should only be measuring it at 35ppt with calibrating fluid not 0 as you do with RO. Along with saying different calibrating fluids can vary to along with different batches.

I myself ever since owning a Refractometer have only ever used RO I have never compare the two, so have my doubts now on is there a difference?

Would like to hear what you use and have you ever use both and what was the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely makes a difference. All tools have a tolerance. Let's say it's 10pct. Thus, measuring at zero could give a PPT reading of 35 plus/minus 3.5. Measuring at 35 gives an exact value but means the zero measurement is now plus/minus 3.5. Since you care more about measurements closer to 35 you're miles better off calibrating there.

It definitely makes a difference. All tools have a tolerance. Let's say it's 10pct. Thus, measuring at zero could give a PPT reading of 35 plus/minus 3.5. Measuring at 35 gives an exact value but means the zero measurement is now plus/minus 3.5. Since you care more about measurements closer to 35 you're miles better off calibrating there.

Hi there i'm guessing you're the same jeremygelber of the west London club,
Welcome to reef Face.

So if I was to use calibrating fluid at 35ppt the sg Will be 3.5 instead of 0 sg
and 1.025 sg Will still be 1.025 is that correct.

I've been meaning to get some calibration fluid myself. Also considering a milwaukee unit. Like you I have always calibrated with RO.

Yes that's correct on all counts.

1 person likes this

@jeremyGelber
Just been in contact with a certain shop in Windsor which I'm sure you're familiar with, asking them about calibrating fluid And they say they found that RO does just a good job as calibrating fluid ,
just that it's read in a different way and have been using RO for years and their corals look great.
So still on the sideline here is one really better than The other surely there must be someone on here that has used both and can compare the two but need the majority to compare probably. but in the meantime I will buy some just to see for myself and peace of mind.

Each unit has a different error but it's a consistent error. Thus if it shows 35 but in reality it's 34, who cares? The point is that stability is the most important thing here. If you consistently get the "wrong" number by the same error margin you are fine. Thus using RO is fine unless you are obsessed with a specific number. If you HAVE to hit 35 then you need to calibrate to 35, simple as that.

Each unit has a different error but it's a consistent error. Thus if it shows 35 but in reality it's 34, who cares? The point is that stability is the most important thing here. If you consistently get the "wrong" number by the same error margin you are fine. Thus using RO is fine unless you are obsessed with a specific number. If you HAVE to hit 35 then you need to calibrate to 35, simple as that.

It's not so much of being abscessed with numbers it was more to do with how big are variation you would get between the two if any and seems very contradiction between people,

And surely if I think I'm getting 1.025 but only really getting 1.021 I wouldn't say that an obsession surely its better to know.

You won't get variations per measurement. And I'm more guided by my tank inhabitants than anything else. My Apex salinity shows 28.5 despite multiple calibrations and electrical isolation. It's clearly nonsense but if it changes I know something is up.