ryanwestcott12

Tmc AquaHabitats set up question

Hello

I'm just setting up a tmc 60 litre cube.I was wondering if I could get some help with a few questions?

I've used new sand and added my pre- mixed water,then brought it up to temperature and started the pump. I then added a frozen prawn as an ammonia source,I then added some rock that has been sitting around for about a year.

I was planning on cycling the tank for 3- 4 weeks.

So once a tank has been running for like 2-3 months will the sand and rock become live on its own? Or do I need to add some thing to the tank to help the process?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm a novice with Marine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be become 'live' with bacteria but not live with critters (copepods/amphipods) until you add some live rock (or a coral with its base). Take things very slow at first. 3-4 weeks is rarely enough time to cycle a tank properly, especially if you have not added bacteria and are growing bacteria from scratch by use of ammonia. I know its very tempting to add coral/fish etc early but there chances of survival are much better the longer you leave the tank empty.

1 person likes this

Ok that's great thanks. Could I just add copepods/amphipods additionally as I've seen them advertised in packets before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but not until the tank has cycled. You also have to consider what they feed on (fish poo, bacteria, algae etc etc).