mr tap water

Phos removers experiences

Phos removers experiences.
Tell us what you've experienced.

I've always been a big fan of Rown Phos,
And always used to be able to get a zero reading when adding new to my reactor but for some reason ever since They added some brown stuff to their media can no longer get a zero reading,
As a example years ago when I used to run my tank on tapwater and used to be able to get a reading from my reactor when adding new Rown of zero and brought my main tank down from 0.25 to 0.03 but now ever since They change the product slightly The best I can get out of my reactor is 0.08-0.16 with my tank reading at 0.16-036 no matter how much I put in or how much I have just the flow from a bear shimmer to bobbling makes absolutely no difference to the Reading coming out of the reactor I did wonder if I had a bad batch and bought a new top just to find out but still the same results, no it looks like after all these years I'm going to have to move onto a different product maybe phosguard might do the trick.
In the meantime I bought this product I have decided not to use it yet it's meant to reduce your phos over night to zero and then let it rise to balance adding accordingly, being I've started to use NoPox thought it's better to leave this for now.
 7c7b6e6778bc2b5edd9f5a5f9179df59.jpg
So what are your experiences and what do you find works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be very interested in seeing how you get one with the Agent green. I've heard its simply diluted Lanthanum Chloride. It works by attaching the phosphate to calcium which then precipitates. My worry is it doesn't pull the precipitation out of the tank and it can settle as fine dust unless you dose it into a filter sock or other mechanical filtration. I've been very tempted to use it but resisted. I use a combo of phosguard (impressive stuff) and now coral balance.

Whatever you do, don't get to 0 phosphates as this could be disastrous for your tank.

@w3bbo they also say The tank could go cloudy for a period of time until it's filtered out and probably best to do it at night maybe by just going under the recommended dosage it will sit just above zero or even do just half the amount recommends and see how far It brings it down, But I won't do anything now until the Nopox gets things under control.

I was using no3po4x until just recently, the only reason I stopped was because I am now using a salt that has bio activ components which reduces nitrates so have gone back to using ultiphos gfo which I have found to be an excellent product at half the price of rowaphos, I would recommend NO3PO4X to any one for carbon dosing

So Rowa isn't as good as it used to be ? 

Is this just your opinion? Or a general one ?

I think ROWAPHOS is an excellent product but must be used with care. It's also a PITA having to rinse it.

I'm only going by my own experience with it like I say I've had it for many years and remember complaining about it even when it first changed over and my local shop saying it shouldn't have made any difference but I can see clearly it did but brushed it off and since then have never managed to get a zero out of the reactor and have had many buckets since then with no results.

So I would have to say not as good as it used to be, now I need to start using other brands to see if there is something out there that is better.

51 minutes ago, grimo123 said:

I would say other gfo's are as good as Rowa now but cheaper

Tank Tests use to sell a few P04 reducing products like phos and doc (P04 remover and carbon) which worked very well but as @W3bbo stated a PITA to rinse. Rowa is essentially the P04 remover side.

They also did a liquid phosphate remover which was diluted Lanthanum Chloride very effective but did bond to calcium causing precipitation (cloudy water) like I said very good but am word to the wise, if you are using it keep an eye on your Ca !

Rowa can be using in conjunction with Nopox to help bring P04 under control but only for a short period as it will strip out the P04 giving nothing for the N03 to bind to and be skimmed out.

Nopox/Vodka are food for nitrifying bacteria which introduces and healthy balance of bacteria for N03 reduction. The key when carbon dosing is good skimming.

2 people like this

This agent green sounds interesting even though I agree with the above comments about not letting it go to 0 that would be worth a shot if you have really high Phos Reading

yeah I'm always tempted to give it a go but that nagging voice keeps saying 'Don't do it!' lol

If it takes phos to zero from being high does that not risk shocking corals as they seem to hate spikes or big reductions. Is it better to reduce/increase over time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it takes phos to zero from being high does that not risk shocking corals as they seem to hate spikes or big reductions. Is it better to reduce/increase over time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is an easy way around that just don't use the recommended amount.

I'm almost out of phosguard so I'll be giving this a go.

1 person likes this

I'm itching to give mine a go but waiting for the nopox to settle first.