Debs

Worried About My One Spot Fox Face

I bought my lovely fox face just over a week ago and has been swimming quite happily with my blue tang and dwarf cherub Angel - feeding well plus has seaweed on clip. Yesterday he didn't come out at feeding time but stayed in his cave where he sleeps but still ate. Usually in the morning he is out pecking the rock with the tang and cherub but seems to be just staying in his cave. Am I being overly anxious? Can't see anything on him but def not how he has behaved last week. Has he just settled or should I be right to worry?

They are very nervous fish. Took about 3 months before mine would stop freaking out and changing colour/darting for cover. Just be very careful when handling. They have very painful, poisonous spines!

They are very nervous fish. Took about 3 months before mine would stop freaking out and changing colour/darting for cover. Just be very careful when handling. They have very painful, poisonous spines!

Yes - the good thing is he stops me putting my hands in the tank!! Why would he have been so happy the first week though and now go shy and lethargic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunno. I wonder the same thing about the mrs sometimes.

1 person likes this

It may be that one of the other fish has now started picking on him.  Has anything else changed in the tank?  They can be sensitive even to things like a new coral going in....

Sadly he died yesterday :(  My first loss in 6 months.  There were no marks on him.  All parameters fine and all other fish ok (hope I'm not speaking too soon but will keep extra eye on them).  I did add a sand sifting goby after him but I didn't see him showing any interest in any of the other fish - he is quite big though so it may have been that - just don't know :(

Sorry to hear that.  

One thing however, we get ill, some people have kidney failure, heart attacks and whatnot, I see no reason why sometimes a healthy looking fish can't have a similar thing go wrong with them.....