Debs

Please Check My Shopping List For Proposed Upgrade

17 posts in this topic

So, I am 90% decided on the Red Sea 350L (having a look at the evolution aqua eareef 1200s next Sunday just to be sure), however, my shopping list will be virtually the same.  This is what I have so far - please can you advise on my choices / anything shouting "no" at you or anything I should consider upgrading / anything important forgotten!

Red Sea Reefer 350L
Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
DD 75 Media Reactor with Pump to run with Rowaphos
Jebao Crossflow Wave CP40
Jebao DCT 6000 Pump
Evergrow IT5080 AquaOcean Marine LED Light
TMC Vecton Aquarium UVC 600 25 watt
Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
2 heaters (not sure which yet)
Carbon to be run in Media Bag
Live Rock
Sand
Biohome to be transferred over from existing tank

(other possible additions):- Pellet Reactor, Auto Aqua ATG Top-up, Red Sea Sump Baffle Kit

Thoughts please :)

Hi there , with the D&D 75 reactor in my experience of having one it's better just to buy the reactor without the pump as the pump that comes with it can be very noisy and quite bulky there are plenty of other pumps out there that are a lot more quieter and smaller something like a Eheim 1,000 would be sufficient but there are cheaper brands out there, and as for your RO filter to make life easier make sure you have a

TDS Probe, pressure gauge, and a DI filter connected to the unit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My display end is 300 litres, I run an Eheim 5000 flat out, possibly the next return pump up although I have never tried those returns ... yet! :)

Still think go for the 425XL instead of 350.

Evergrows are good as long as you can put up with them jumping from one setting to the next. Believe me, it gets annoying rather quickly lol.

I'd go for 2 titanium heaters controlled by a temperature controller like an STC1000

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Still think go for the 425XL instead of 350.

Evergrows are good as long as you can put up with them jumping from one setting to the next. Believe me, it gets annoying rather quickly lol.

I'd go for 2 titanium heaters controlled by a temperature controller like an STC1000

I don't really notice mine I guess iv got used to it lol.

Iv gone off titanium heaters as if the stc fails you havnt got a back up thermostat and usualy relays fail on.

I'd also look at something other then the cp-40 imo. I'm not fan I had the gyre and didn't like it. There's also quite also few reports of the cp's stopping working.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

@@Debs

Have you had a look at the Red Sea program ? I've set up a 525xl and it will be run with 8 channels of dosing. I am not a fan of reactors as in MHO you still have to dose depending on what you are planning to keep (SPS)

The BM curve are a great middle of the road skimmer and will pull some serious gunk out for you.

As previously said titanium heaters (2 with one being a back up) controlled by something along the lines of an STC then you can add fans if required.

Love the battle between glass and titanium heaters... I think it's just personally preference Debs.. I'm with Daz on the 425xl - such a cool tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all - am really tempted with the 425 xl - just have read a lot that it is expensive for the actual equipment you get?  I haven't had any experience with any of the equipment so wouldn't know ??

You don't get any equipment with them. Just tank, stand and sump with built in ATU.

That leaves you to buy the equipment that suits your needs.

The build quality of the reefers is on another level in my opinion.

oh yes - I was getting confused with the Red Sea Max 400 - I think I would pushing my luck just a bit too much with the 425 XL with my husband - amazed I am getting away with an upgrade at all! lol

1 person likes this

IMHO get as large a tank as you can run.......   Also, have you factored in an RO booster pump?  Or do you already have one?

And when you look at the return pump, you need to consider (I assume you know this but just in case, I've seen people get it very wrong!) the overflow i.e. what the tank can actually cope with.  Of course if push came to shove you can put a valve in the return output to turn it down but this is not helpful to the life of the pump.... 

the jebao/jecod pumps are really good speaking from experience

I have the Dc9000 which i bought at the same time as @@WOODY5371 I have it throttled back to 90%, on my return plumbing I have 2 large deltec reactors which are teed off. More than enough.

For the price it's lasted 2 years so far.

Thanks for replying guys but this is an old post - all up and running now with my reefer 350L and loving it.  Yes have RO booster and have the Jebao Crossflow CP40 and Jebaeo DCS 6000 Return Pump.  Latest purchase is the Kamoer KSP-F03 doser.  Hopefully equipment now all sorted and money can be spent on more corals / fish etc! :)

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

1 person likes this

Looking good.  A nice Lobo or Trachy on the substrate will really set it off IMHO...