Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

deano1968

My New Tank....opinions Needed

20 posts in this topic

Got a call today to say my new custom tank will be delivered in 2 weeks and it's about 4 weeks sooner than expected and I am still stuck in the middle of decorating...what joy.

I have a few questions regards setting up, do I set everything up from the start ie skimmer in straight away, substrate first or live rock first.

I will be setting up a durso system with 2 outlets and 1 return, do I need filter socks and what else would be good in the sump, 3 bays 1st skimmer,second refugeum. Do I put rock in the refugeum and macro algae straight away or leave the algae till later.

Got to get my heaters,skimmer,gyre and sump light but will sort those this weekend.

Really looking forward to setting back up again, last one was many years ago with external filter so a big change, I will be having a mixed system with soft corals and inverts and fish to start with,obviously building up slowly.

All sounds good Dean Will be looking forward to seeing it, just one thing to note if you put your skimmer on right from the beginning keep an eye on it as it Will properly go crazy for the first week also until it settles down.

Are you using dry rock or live rock? This will affect how you should start setting it up.

First thing I would do is start getting your water ready. You will need loads!

Going to use live lockout may put some dry rock to start a base, glad you asked because is there any problem buying live rock from someone who is breaking down a tank so long as its not covered in algae ?? Someone selling some near me for a very good price that has been in a tank for 10 years

I've always thought rock should go in before substrate because if you put rock onto substrate and the snails etc burrow, it can destabilise it all.

I've always thought rock should go in before substrate because if you put rock onto substrate and the snails etc burrow, it can destabilise it all.

Very true, this is how I put it together . 

Egg crate can also be used but limits the burrowing 

Just look out for any pests on the rock work such as aiptasia and majano. Along with algae the main one you don't want is bryopsis.

And as meg said stick the rock down first then the substrate as fish and invert can dig up the sand and could potentially cause a rock slide.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk

Personally if I was starting again I'd go with dead rock. It takes a lot longer to mature and become 'live' but in the long run you will have less problems: Phosphate, nasty hitchikers, polyps, bryopsis, aiptasia, majano and also the possibility of introducing disease into your tank. You will miss out on some interesting critters but its not worth the risk imo.

I would put the algae and live rock in to the refuguim from the start, there will probably be plenty of nutrients for the algae to consume if you are using live rock from another tank.

I did the same and maybe was lucky but didn't get any problems with pests other than a bit of aiptasia which was easily dealt with.

Virtually every setup that I have seen (online) has the skimmer first and the refuguim second but I have mine the opposite way (due to space). Don't know what difference it makes?

Good luck with the setup (and the decorating!).

or cultured real reef rock. It's not that cheap but its basically live rock with no hitchikers or pests, plus its permanently purple apart from where you crack it so it looks really pretty. Comes in standard, branching and plate. 

what I did with mine was cook the rock, it kept it live but kills algaes and a lot of nasties, it isn't a guaranteed method but it works, it certainly worked for me

I have read that some people mix a bucket with a higher salinity 1.035-040 and dip the live rock for 1 minute which encourages anything on it to exit into the bucket ?? not sure how effective this would be. I am going to go and take a look at the rock tomorrow and if its ok I will take a punt on it, I can keep it going in my old tropical tank for a few weeks. If it's not what I want I will leave well alone.

Well it was a worthwhile visit, the rock is very clean with no visible sign of nasties so I now have 37 kilo of live rock majority of it is in a small tank I have with everything it needs for a few weeks and the remainder is in a open large bucket with heat and water pump so should be ok.

I have inadvertently ended up with a lodger,there was a lawnmower blenny that the guy couldn't trap so he is with me,hope I can keep him,he is in the tank with all the rock so touch wood....

Less than £4 per kilo so worth the hassle for a few weeks.

Well the rock is doing fine and it is definitely refreshing memories on how fascinating we all found it, even my son is spending time looking at the rock for all the potential marine life. Another few weeks and I should be up and running to a degree.

Gotta love rock watching! :)