Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Ryan Sinclair

New Set Up Aqua One Ufo 550

Hi, I am venturing into the world of a marine tank, and would like to create a reef tank with some fish. I have kept tropical for many years, but am struggling a bit with the equipment needed.

I will be using a protein skimmer (hang on), an internal UV filter, heater and power heads for water movement.

My main concern is the lighting situation. The UFO 550 he a built in light unit and wondered if the 2 bulbs in the unit would be strong enough for successful coral growth, or if I will require. Separate stronger unit.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

R

hi and welcome to reef-face, what sort of corals are you planning keeping firstly soft corals will be ok with the lightng you have but hard corals will need better stronger lighting, maybe start with softies then work up to hard corals

Hi Darla,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently in the research stage of my project so am unsure of the difference between soft and hard coral, but now that I know the lighting would be sufficient for some then, I can start to do a bit of research.

I am looking to build up the reef at the back of the tank and don't want to over stock it, co any suggestions would be ideal.

R.

soft corals are such as xenia, zoas, green star polyps, yellow polyps, mushrooms, toadstools, sea fans, hard coral are stony corals where the coral retracts in to the coral, hard corals are classed in 2 types short and long polyp stony corals

btw my name is carl ,darla is a fun name that i was given

@@Ryan Sinclair Welcome to Reef Face Ryan

btw my name is carl ,darla is a fun name that i was given

Hi Ryan welcome to reef face

Now would be a good opportunity to start up a diary on your new system so we can follow your progress right from the beginning.

As for your lighting you so you have two bulbs at the moment i'm guessing they're not T5 fluorescent tubes then and by the sounds of it it sounds like you want a variety of corals eventually, so I don't think you will have enough lighting there are variety of LEDs out there to suit your needs what are the measurements of your tank. As this will give us some idea on what kind and the amount of lighting you my need.

Welcome and good luck, can't wait to follow your journal. :)

Welcome to reef face

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome!

Grant- the tank is an aqua one ufo550. This is a corner tank 86cm across the front, 60cm from front to back measured along the side of the tank and 58cm deep. The capacity is approx 78 litres, according to a website. Not a massive tank, but just want to dip my toes into the marine word (not literally!).

Carl did suggest that the lighting would be fine for soft coral, which I am happy to start with, them maybe if I progress to bigger tanks, I would be happy to invest in t5 lighting units. Do you agree that soft coral would be fine with the built in lighting, as long as I changed the bulbs to blue/white??

R

Hi Ryan if you just want to try soft first it's a bit of trial and error really and hopefully as Carl says you're lighting should be enough for now only time will tell. But don't let me put you off I say go for it and if you run into any problems further down the line we are all here to help