Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

deano1968

Sump Set Up- Refugium Or Not

I am ordering my new tank next week and 3 bay sump, could someone give me some ideas on best set-up. I want to have a mixed system with living rock and mainly soft corals but have the scope to progress to hard corals. I am having a ND aquatics tank 48x20x24 (sump 30x 15 x18)  with 2 outlets and one return. I was going to fit a filter sock in the first chamber with my protein skimmer, return pump in the 3rd bay but need ideas on the middle bay my initial thoughts were a refugium but there are so many conflicting opinions out there as to whether to have them or not ?? My understanding was that the macro Algae in there and living rock reduced nitrates and the macro algae controls unwanted algae but others say this is poppycock ?? be great if anyone has some pics of their sump set up.

Dean

yes use the central section as a refugium pal. heaters in with the return pump ?

Personally I'd put heaters in the drain section as it will be the last to run dry should the return fail.

What else do I need to put in the ref. Live rock, macro algae and then do I go for some coral sand or not bother ??

How big is that section, could you fit a couple of small trays of mineral / miracle mud?

How big is that section, could you fit a couple of small trays of mineral / miracle mud?

Not entirely sure, total length is 30 inches and 15 inch wide by 18 tall 3 bays

Have a measure of the centre section when you can, if you can fit a couple of large "takeaway" clear tubs in there it will help.

Macros / algae certainly do reduce nutrients; that's what algae eat. It's just a matter of having enough, growing fast enough, compared to how much you feed.

Is there any problem having my ref. with just Live rock and Cheato, what benefit will sand or miracle mud give me, I figure that the sand in the tank will be more beneficial and it will allow a cleaner sump without it ?? Do the Coepods etc need substrate to thrive.

Sorry for all the questions but not long till I set up now and want to be something like a decent setup to start with.

A sandbed is both aesthetically pleasing and also home to many beneficial cleaners/bacteria. Personally I hate seeing bare bottom tanks. Sure they look nice and clean (and are probably easier to keep clean) but they look false. IF I wanted a false looking tank I'd by ceramic fake coral which would be a helluva lot cheaper lol.

A sandbed is useful for buffering your elements. You will likely get a diatom (brown algae) bloom initially on the sand bed but this goes away after a couple of weeks and is part of the cycle. Grain size is something you will need to consider. Too fine and sand will blow all over the pace, too course and it can trap detritus.

There are +'s and -'s to having or not having sand. For me having sand outweighs the negatives.

Copepods are fine living in rockpiles or indeed the water column depending on what type you have.

I was just questioning the Refugium ?? Have got the sand sorted for the display tank

Not worth it unless you have it really deep and that brings inherent dangers.