Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

evan47

How To Use Rowaphos In A Bag

If I wanted to use rowaphos in a bag, placed in my sump what would be a safe dosage for my 120 liter tank plus 30 liter sump?

Can you put too much rowaphos in the bag?

Will it have any negative effects such as lowering PH, discolouring/clouding the water etc?

Which would be the preferred method of phosphate reduction. Rowaphos or chaeto?

Which of the two would have the quickest effect and best result?

Can both be used at the same time?

I used to use about 100grms in a 300 ltr tank so going off that, I would say 50 grms would do for your system, if you are putting it into your sump I would rinse it in R/O first, as regards to with chaeto , I haven't ever used it so can't comment

Hi there Evan once you add the Rowa to your system it will start to work straight away ,A 100 ml Will do up to 400 L ,I personally wouldn't recommend putting it in a bag I just think you're wasting your money is far better to put it in a reactor as this media needs to be tumbling and can clamp together very easy in a bag. I also believe if you put too much in in one go it can cause a fluctuation with your Ph but only for a brief time. As for how it works and how long it last can depend on how much phos you have in your system and by putting in a large amount in the beginning will make no difference to putting in the recommended amount it will only take out a set amount of phos which is why it's better to change smaller amounts as it gets exhausted and save you money in the long run. And just to add if you do decide to use it in a reactor you need to make sure you flush it through first.

As above, frankly it needs to be in a reactor, bubbling the top layer.  The difference in "performance" is incredible when it is in a reactor (and properly running one at that i.e. the top level simmering and bubbling nicely)

I use to keep mine in a bag but you can not test when it needs replacing and is wasteful , I also run cheato 24 /7