Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

romperstomper

Skimmer

I have been running my tank now without a skimmer for almost 8 months phos 0 ,nitrates 0 ,fish /corals inverts doing well . Have some surface algae on rocks and sand which is about the only bad thing .

What could I expect if I added a skimmer ,what would it do for the tank ,would it help reduce  the algae , bearing in mind my nitrates and phos are 0 already ?

If you have algae in your tank, your nitrates and phosphates are not zero I'm afraid. Algae needs NO3 and PO4 to grow. You are seeing is zero because the algae is using what is available and thus not detected in the water column.

A skimmer is a mechanical method of removing proteins (and minor amounts of trace elements) from the water column so it will have a positive impact on nitrates and phosphates. How much will depends on how good your skimmer is and how well setup it is.

In my opinion I don't think Adding one now would make much difference to your algae problem it may be better to try a VU which may help to a degree. That's if your readings are what you say they are.

Do you have a sump / refugium?

I don't run a skimmer but I don't have a big fish bioload and feed less than most people.

Do you have a sump / refugium?

I don't run a skimmer but I don't have a big fish bioload and feed less than most people.

4 rear chambers one is set out refug of sorts ,cheato ,light ,and some small live rock rubble .

Edited by romperstomper

I would remove the rock rubble and give the back sections a good siphon, it's amazing how crud can build up in an all in one and rubble is wasted in the back sections in my opinion.

I would remove the rock rubble and give the back sections a good siphon, it's amazing how crud can build up in an all in one and rubble is wasted in the back sections in my opinion.

yes I do that every month ,what would you suggest I do with the live rock rubble ?

I just have a layer of sand/gravel in the middle section of my sump with cheato above it. The gravel is for the pods e.t.c. to live in aswell as the cheato.

As for a skimmer not sure if you would notice a difference nutrients wise as it removes protiens and phosphate to a degree if you skim wet..... but once you have seen what it pulls out I think you would carry on using one.

Also agree with webbo if you have algae you have nitrate and phosphate. Also 0 nitrate and 0 phos isn't good you need a small amount of each for your corals to live and grow unless you provide extra food for them by means of coral foods or leave some nitrate and phos in the tank for the corals to feed on.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk

I would hide the rubble in the scape, might come in handy. :)

Also agree with webbo if you have algae you have nitrate and phosphate. Also 0 nitrate and 0 phos isn't good you need a small amount of each for your corals to live and grow unless you provide extra food for them by means of coral foods or leave some nitrate and phos in the tank for the corals to feed on.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk

So how do keep hair algae and other algae away ?