Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

KCT

Weir And Pipework Help Please

H I'm installing a weir and pipework and need to ask some advice.

Firstly I see some weirs with top comb entry only others have botom and middle slots.

What is best and why please? The comb I want to use on the top is 25mm high should the flow cover this completely?

With the pipework I have one 32mm and one 20mm to use.  Am I right in thinking the larger pipe is the main return and has a u bend which ends at he min tank level when sump is full and the second is positiond just below the surface level.

Thanks for reading

No. 

Your return should be the smaller pipe. Go with 2x 32mm drains, one slightly above the other if durso setup and if using a single weir and a 25mm return. What type of drain are you planning, twin durso, bean animal, herbie? All have their merits.

Having a slot in the weir below water level will prove troublesome should you need to drain your weir so I would go with top only. The water level in your tank should be below the tips of the weir comb and flowing through the comb rather than over it.

No.

Having a slot in the weir below water level will prove troublesome should you need to drain your weir so I would go with top only. The water level in your tank should be below the tips of the weir comb and flowing through the comb rather than over it.

I think he means the acrylic wiers that have glass behind them. My old tank was done like this. Basically glass siliconed down then have a acrylic wier 10mm in front of the glass with slits top and bottom no idea why it was done this way but I think that's what he means.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk

Thanks both. I have one 32mm and one 20mm connection.

Sorry which one would be the main drain and how far below water level, and the other just breaking the water level? 

I will def go for top flow only on weir

I have looked at all 3 types only went towards durso because i have had pipework for that already, came with the sump

Is one better for the hole sizes I have? Shouls have put all that on one post.

Some people make the weir out of glass then stick the acrylic onto it because they think glass bonds to the tank stronger than acrylic. I just siliconed my acrylic box straight to the glass and have had no problems so far

I've got glass weir in the corner with black acrylic against it purely for aesthetics as far as i can see and some adjustable combs on the top. I'm using the Herbie method and it works great for me. Not had a problem yet and its drained a few times and I've also had a pump failure :)