evan47

Stocking First Salt Water Tank.

I have my 30 gallon ( plus sump ) tank cycling and I am looking forward to starting stocking it at the end of this month.

My first additions are going to be a pair of occellaris clowns and then a week or two later I will start adding a small cuc.

When the tank matures a little I will add my third fish but I am not too sure as to what as I fancy a dwarf angel like a cherub, coral beauty or maybe a flame angel

I am seeing conflicting opinions about their suitability in a 30 gallon tank and also about their behavior with certain, but not all corals.

I intend to add some soft corals later on, most likely mushrooms, zoas and maybe candy cane or open brain.

Would a dwarf angel be a good idea or should I look at something else?

Dwarf angels can be very hit and miss and are highly variable,

They on the whole are considered coral nippers for lps so you may wish to factor this in mind, I'm not saying you can't do it but it maybe worth considering which you want to priorities first? Certain lps or a dwarf angel.

P.s welcome aboard!

Dwarf angels can be very hit and miss and are highly variable,

They on the whole are considered coral nippers for lps so you may wish to factor this in mind, I'm not saying you can't do it but it maybe worth considering which you want to priorities first? Certain lps or a dwarf angel.

P.s welcome aboard!

Yes, I am aware of how hit or miss they can be but they are such beautiful fish.

Maybe if I put a dwarf angel in the tank I could plan my corals around it.

Mushrooms, zoas and leathers seem to be good beginner corals and I would be happy with some of these to colour up my live rock a little. 

I was just wondering how they would get along with a pair of clowns in a 30 gallon with a fair bit of rock.

I wouldnt add any other fish as I would not like to overstock thus straining the bioload and increasing aggression in there.

If you kept to the smaller clowns and smaller dwarf angels I personally wouldn't see an issue in a 30 gal :)

I added two small common clowns yesterday and all seems to be ok, I also noticed that I have the start of the brown diatom stage. Should I start looking for the first members of a CUC? 

What should I add first bearing in mind that the clowns will be making waste, there will be some left over food too.

I fancy red legged hermits but I am open to suggestions.

yesterday i added the first of cuc, a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp.

they are both spending their time cleaning mostly the arka rock and sometimes the live rock in the tank, sometimes going for the micro pelltes i have been feeding the clowns with.

next week i would like to add a pair of snails. which ones would be the best for cleaning diatoms from the rock work?

my lfs also has mithrax crabs in store, would it be ok to add a pair of those or would one be enough in a 30 gallon? 

I have now added a trio of banded trochus snails and a trio of red legged hermits.

Got to be honest, the inverts look great and seem to have settled in well and now my tank is more or less free of brown diatoms.

I just want to get the phosphates and nitrates down a little before slowly adding some starter corals.

Just take it slowly and carefully and you should be fine.

In a 30g tank what about a nice firefish instead of an angel?  We had a couple of angels and they didn't nip a thing for ages, then suddenly one day (I mean after years!) they would just stroll up and down the tank nipping at everything!