warby

Review: Tmc Reefskim Pro 1500

I ws asked to do a review of this skimmer and iv never done a review before so be kind! Haha

First off, the skimmer comes in a huge box with lots of foam packaging and everything has a plastic bag around it.

Initial thoughts are it's good quality, fairly heavy due to the thick acrylic. The acrylic body is 4-5 mm thick, the screws are the right way around aswell...by is i mean softer plastic screws into hard acrylic so it's the screws that wear before the acrylic base.

It comes pretty much fully assembled all you need to do is fit the skimmer cup and the usual plug the cables in.

uploadfromtaptalk1441622430932.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441622449648.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441622461805.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441622471295.jpg

I took the skimmer apart to see how it was all put together it's really to strip and I imagine clean as it all comes apart.

It looks very similar to the coralbox/bubble magus design of skimmers apart from the bubble plate which looks alot different to the skimmers iv had before. The air/water mix comes out the sides of the plate via rectangular holes rather then circular holes in the top.

uploadfromtaptalk1441622708878.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441622722419.jpg

There is 2 versions of these skimmers an AC version and a DC version. Iv got the DC version which is slightly more expensive as it has the controller.

On to the pump on the back of the pump it says tmc aquatics DC3000. It uses 25W of power at full flow. Which for a big skimmer I don't think is bad. The controller also has the tmc logo on it. After taking the bubble plate out and the holder I spotted that infact it isn't a tmc brand pump it's a jebao dc3000 with needle wheel impellor.

uploadfromtaptalk1441623017560.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441623029085.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441623049120.jpg

I ran the skimmer in a bucket with vinegar to give it a clean and I'm really impressed with how quiet it is you can barely hear it even just sat in the bucket (it was about 3ft away from my running 3ft tank which is pretty quiet)

As for adjusting the bubble height you have a few options:

Turn the DC pump up/down

Turn the air flow up/down

Or use the gate valve on the skimmer which seems quite precise it's got some resistance which I think is good.

983080ccdcf00e222ab10867e6971e27.jpg

Here are the dimensions of all the reef skim range AC and DC.

uploadfromtaptalk1441623278951.png

I would say that this is a big improvement on the old v2 skimmers (iv had 3 of them) but only time will tell

I will have the skimmer in around 10" of water and had to make a stand to raise it up a bit

8d9701ef2875c5f563b380e64a72055a.jpg

I won't know how easy it is to tune until I get the 5footer up and running which I hope will be weekend. So I will update this as and when so to speak.

If you think I have missed anything or you want to know anything else just ask....as i say this is my first review so be nice haha:)

@@mrdave can you put this where it belongs please matey you know what I mean :)

sent from my s6 using tapatalk

Edited by warby

Thread moved to review section - Great job Simon. We look forward to the updates!

1 person likes this

Great write up pal

Thank you

1 person likes this

Just read this in a bit more detail Simon. Could you tell me if this is Ozone friendly? Also, does the cup have a drain hole and if so what size barb is exiting? Looks like there's a hole but can't tell what size. Also what's the r.r.p?

Just read this in a bit more detail Simon. Could you tell me if this is Ozone friendly? Also, does the cup have a drain hole and if so what size barb is exiting? Looks like there's a hole but can't tell what size. Also what's the r.r.p?

Yes the skimmer is ozone friendly it does say it in the destruction book.

The cup does have a drain it comes with a plug if you dont want to use the drain and a length of silicone tube with a tap and a silicone elbow so you can point the drain away from the glass of the sump. I'd have to guess at the size and say around 10-12mm as I'm at work now until 10pm.

Not sure on the r.r.p. as after I bought it iv seen them for between £289 and £325. But I paid a lot less then both them prices.

Cool. Looks like a decent skimmer. I'm in the market for an upgrade myself. Looking at the Deltec SC1660 or the Cloud 9 though but I'll hang fire and see how you get on with this.

Simon you're a natural fantastic right up

The cloud 9 looks ace I was about to buy it then had a look around and saw this does slightly more capacity wise and looks identical but the cloud 9 uses the DC 4000 where as this has the 3000.

I usually go by the pump size as manufacturers seem to over estimate what the skimmer is rated for. That siad either would be well over my tank size (450l).

I'd say the D700 would do for you. Iv got the d300 on current tank and it's great. The 9 or 1500 would be way too much imo. Air draw is well over 1000lph aswell

I've got the 500 but undecided whether to get a auto head for it or go larger.

good write up pal, but are these not a rebranded coralbox skimmer with one or 2 slight modifications?

good write up pal, but are these not a rebranded coralbox skimmer with one or 2 slight modifications?

Yep which are also copy of bubble magus and pretty much any cone shape skimmer lol.

TMC have their own 'version' of the Jebao RW pumps too. Saw them at reef-fest. Exactly the same just re-branded and more expensive as far as I could tell.

TMC have their own 'version' of the Jebao RW pumps too. Saw them at reef-fest. Exactly the same just re-branded and more expensive as far as I could tell.

Yep my lfs said the same thing, all they have done is put there stickers on them and called them reef flow