Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Dray

About To Stick A Brick Through My Tank!

34 posts in this topic

I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with this fecking tank!!!!

i just can't seem to get anything right with it. i have had an algae problem from the start and  my tank and sump are covered in fecking algae. twice a day I'm blowing the shyte off my corals..rocks. every time i do a water change i suck up as much as i can off the rocks..glass..corals and within a couple of hours i may of well not have bothered.

i have adjusted my lighting...im running two reactors with phos remover. i have cut down the feeding to once every two days. i have have had the lights off throughout the day quite a few times now and nothing is helping. (I've been doing this for about a month) i do regular weekly water changes, change the phos remover often. my tads on my RO is 0 and i use red sea pro which i mix and use as innstructed.

then there is the matter of water params.....  i cannot get my alk up and my calc is super low..so I've been dosing with the redsea a b c reef foundation stuff and about 10 -15 mins after dosing i retest to see whats going on and the results are LOWER than the first set of tests.

what is going on?? what am i doing wrong?? 

is there anyone in the gloucester area that could help me with my tank.

whats frustrating is that i never had a problem with my other two tanks, and I'm paying loads more attention to this one than i did the others. and to add to that the wife is now starting to joan collins at me coz it looks brad pit!!!!! 

and I'm also running cheato in the sump...but even that is getting over run!!!!

I live just down the road from you in Cam near Dursley.I will be about a bit over the WE in the afternoon as I have a nightshift Saturday into Sunday so if you want to come and visit my 4 system fishhouse,as a few members on here have get in touch and we can a range a day and time and I will show you how to get the right balance using mostly the same stuff you have......with a little extra.

that would be a great help. thanks mike.

I've just run a few basic tests and I'm a bit concerned about my nitrite and nitrate readings.....they are both dead 0......surely this can't be right?

and ammonia is 0

Edited by Dray

I would hope that your Nitrite would be zero,we would have problems if it wernt.Nitrate at zero...I doubt it is but you need to test it with a decent test kit like the D-D that I use.The salifert one's not too accurate at the bottom end.

Sounds daft but I'd recommend using different balling solutions and try to raise your calc and alk. What's your mag like?

What colour is the algae? I'm going to guess at it being brown? Stick some pics up of it matey

Don't quit on us just yet!! Let's see what we can come up with to help out :)

sent from my s6 using tapatalk

@@warby hit the nail on the head. Magnesium. Without this being stable and high enough (1280-1350 is ideal for a reef) then you are always going to struggle getting Ca and Alk up.

Can you give us a full list of your current parameters mate - Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, temp, phosphate, nitrate and salinity. This may show us where you're having issues.

A major contributor to algae is phosphate as you know and I've made the mistake of adding too much GFO which has caused Alk to drop and precipitate. I did this and stuggled for a while with alk not realising what I was doing was counter productive. I went back to a single canister with a cup full and Alk started to climb while phosphate fell at the same rate. Another possible cause of precipitation is dosing time. Are you adding the alk/ magnesium / calc dosages ate different times i.e a minimum of 20 mins apart?

just been down to one of the lfs near me with a water sample, he tested the same as me nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ammonia 0........ 

so I've got two little bottles of pro-biotic bacteria and culture medium that i will drip in over the next few days and see how that goes.

the algae is a lovely velvety brown.

i aint gonna quit on this tank...its just starting to nark me off at the moment :)

just have to prep dinner and then ill do a full bank of tests and post the results.

thanks guys   

edit....the guy at the lfs gave me a bucket of water from his system, i know it has certain risks but should i add it to the tank?

Edited by Dray

NO! Why would someone elses water make ANY difference? It will nearly always do more harm than good. You need to find the source of the problem. Nitrate, nitrite and Ammonia have very little to do with algae. Algae feeds off Phosphate mate. It's not unusual to have nitrite and ammonia at zero. So much so I never test for it.

What you need to target is phosphate. Now here's the difficulty as you might have a false low reading as the algae present in your tank is masking a higher reading. I would also consider letting nitrate rise a little. Why you ask? Because Like magnesium has an effect on Alk and calcium, so does the relationship between phosphate and nitrate. It is extremely difficult to lower one when the other is non-existant. @@HighEndOfTheLow are biologists and may be able to give a more detailed explanation of the relationship between phosphate and nitrate but I'm sure they will agree, lowering one without the presence of the other is very difficult.

I'd certainly get another reefer to take a look at your setup as this is always useful. Take @@superdart up on his offer. Mike has loads of experience and could very well have dealt with your issue previously.

thanks rich.

my thinking on adding the water was because of the lack of cycle "tell-tales" nitrite nitrate etc. i haven't added it, it was just an option to see if i could get that going again.

i've been targeting phosphates by running a media ( and probably far too much of it) and also I've only been feeding the fish once every two days for about a month now. and I've made sure they eat pretty much everything thats gone in.

i think that I'm over complicating matters by coming up with solutions on too many factors and not having the proper knowledge of what the root cause is .  so on your guys advice i will stop thinking about everything and start where you guys suggest.

i will do a full test in a bit and post the results as well as everything I'm running in the tank and how long I've been running it for.

Try and get us a pic of the algae too mate. Many algae are mis-identified and are actually bacteria build up which may alter your needed solution.

I think there are a few issues here and we should focus on 1 at a time rather then them as a group.

I'd recommend the params first(calc alk and mag) (as corals would suffer) then after that the algae

(which sounds like Dinos but hard to confirm without a picture). Raising your nitrate may also help if it is Dinos as a certain type dosent like nitrate (i have had this type in my dt) algae x didn't touch it but taking trates up to 10ppm and holding did the trick

Did you know phos removal media drops alk? If you are running too much of it that could be the cause. Alk calc and mag are all related when 1 is low it's not uncommon for them all to suffer.

Full set of tests after tea and let's see what we can do :)

@@w3bbo would you agree with the first part of this post?

sent from my s6 using tapatalk

Yeah agree. First think is to get us a list of parameters so we can identify issues there. 

I'm following this with interest. Hope you get it sorted !

Hi all sorry to be a bit late to the party but theres plenty of good stuff mentioned on here

Ok before we can really begin we need to get accurate test results for the following (and what brand test kits, some brands aren't worth doing)

Alk

Ca

Mag

Nitrates

Phosphate

Tds

Plus answers to the following questions

What light

How old the bulbs if it's not led

If it's led how much red spectrum is being used?

We also need a decent photo of said algae with detailed description (colour, texture, size, micro vs micro?). To work out what type it is. Some algaes need specific treatment methods to battle.

Chin up we've all been there and got through it

ok so readings are as follows.

temp           25 degC

salinity        1026.

phos           0.16

nitrite          0

nitrate         0

ammonia    0

alk              tritant used = 0.6ml = 8.4     ppm

cal              tritant used = 1ml    = 500    ppm

mag            tritant used = 0.8ml = 1600  ppm 

Ph               8.2

NT labs phosphate remover media. a full bag treats 600l so i use half at at time (300l after taking to account LR and other bits)

and carbon in the second reactor.

a small amount of cheato about 4-5 inches squared. (small) 

and a decent amount of LR.

all test kits are red sea......except nitrite which is salifert 

the algae is a reddy brown velvet that has raising strands with an air bubble. it is very easy to blow off but comes back just as fast.

lighting i have a new sanrise 90 which is set to less than 70% tbh I'm not to sure on what channel controls the reds but the whites are less than 70 % and the rest are lower than that.

Edited by Dray