Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

mr tap water

Moving From Tap To Ro

17 posts in this topic

@@mrdave the other day said He thought it would be a good idea for me to do a write-up on my move from Tap to RO water and the ups and downs I've come across.

I shall start with the tap water so here goes.

My tank was running for roughly 4 1/2 years it has no sump and runs on external filters and just over 70 kg of live Rock .

Now for the things I needed help me with the tapwater first of all I used Tetre Aquasafe which I added to my water changes and when first setting up. To combat Nitrate I used JBL Bionitratex bags which kept it between 5 to 10. To help with the phos are used a reactor with Rowa phos which kept it down to 0.02-0.03. My external filters contained JBL bags. SeraSiporax rings. Active carbon. One sponge in each and floss in each which were claimed once a month.

The salt brand I use is D&D H20 . I also run a protein skimmer .my additives Iodine.and Mag.

My positives was no hair algae or any other algae problems also I have never had Canyo.

Also I've never had any fish diseases bearing in mind my tank is heavily stocked with fish.

My dousing regime I hardly ever have to because the conditioner and the tap water contain high amounts of KH,Cal,Mag when doing water changes it keeps the levels up just needs a slight tweak once a week to maintain the levels I require.

The negatives I've found with tap water.

I have to use a considerable amount of Rowa phos roughly between 800-1000 mils per month to keep things at the lower level that I require .as for my nitrate I use roughly 20 JBL bags every six months help keep my nitrate down also to a levels found happy with. With the cleaning of the glass of my tank needs to be done between 1 to 2 days.

Problems with Corals you only ones I've ever had problems with all these Xenia.Bubble.Medusa. And the last important thing and probably the most important not having to worry about what additives May be added to our drinking water from the water boards in the future.

RO WATER.

I've been using it now for roughly just over 6 months now. Things I run it with now I still have just over 70 kg of live Rock I use one large external filter now I was using 20 JBL bags has now cut down to 10 as I've started using A reactor with bio pellets and still waiting for them to Kickin properly my external filter contains A black and blue sponge floss . Active carbon . IBL bags and the recommended amount of SeraSiporax rings and I also run a protein skimmer.

The positives using RO.

I'm using a lot less Rowa phos I am now only using 400 mils every four weeks to keep it at 0.03 or below. And cleaning front of glass roughly every three days now. And water clarity seems clearer. I'm not having to worry about the water authorities adding things to my tap water that my Harm system in the future.

Negatives using RO.

Having to dose a hell of a lot more to keep things stable costing a lot more in KH buffers and calcium and Mac having to buy a lot more of it keep things stable where before when adding tapwater my top ups was doing so 90% of this for me without even realising hardly ever had to buy these additives. So I believe I calcium reactor will resolve my problem which should help cut down on the Big three. Using a RO/DI unit more time consuming more expense.

Reading back on this I can see tap water was a lot more easier for me and a lot less work needed to .i spend more on some things and less on others .other than that it was just the risk of water authorities of what I may add or may not in the future.

For me personally using RO is definitely harder work and much more complicated to maintain things still needs help with combating nitrite and Phos so additives are required to help with this exactly the same as with tap water with probably half the amount required LOL:)

For others out there that don't know me this is just my own experience of using both and I am not advising you to use tapwater for those who are starting out in this hobby I would advise to use RO water.

I have only ever use tap water for over 40 years now but in the last six months I am now using RO I still say it can be done with tap water Which I have proved over the years and I know there are many others out there that have to . But at the end of the day the safest route is definitely to go with RO water it's safer with no worries Of the unexpected from the water boards.

nice write up Grant  :icon_thumleft:

Thanks guys :)

I guess a lot depends on the TDS of your tap water. I'm lucky in that my tapwater TDS is around the 50 mark but I would still be paranoid even with it being that low. I've used RO pretty much from that start so I have no basis for comparison. Your post makes for interesting reading :).

Very interesting write up Grant

I guess a lot depends on the TDS of your tap water. I'm lucky in that my tapwater TDS is around the 50 mark but I would still be paranoid even with it being that low. I've used RO pretty much from that start so I have no basis for comparison. Your post makes for interesting reading :).

My TDS was 320 believe it or not. This is just my own personal belief and nothing else based on my systems in the past and my current one I system run perfectly Fish and Coral always looked healthy and had no unexpected deaths with my fish i've always been heavily stocked With Fish yet with a TDS 320 you would expect problems if you're going by the book which makes me wonder if TDS is misunderstood just because you have a high reading doesn't necessarily mean all is bad even by adding the conditioner Will increase the TDs doesn't mean it's gonna do more harm damn people say what about the dissolvable solids that build up in your system anything that made sense to me was that are using a protein skimmer in using active carbon Along with Rowa phos all play a big part in keeping the solids down i'm goes for the water changes when adding the conditioner it will Neutrophile A certain amount of bad things to and by leaving it for a few days other chemicals will that way as well. Please don't quote me on this as these are only my own conclusions any of you have seen my tank so some of what I've been saying must be true to a degree otherwise how can you explain it not talking one year two years we talking nearly 5 years now on the system Alone.

Very good pal. Gives us all an insight into before now and transition

Ye good write up Grant and if there was anyone who can give a well educated view on RO vs tap it is you.

I know you have encouraged the use of RO for those new to the hobby but what is your future plan Grant? Will you revert to tap or are you a definite RO convert?

@@tbert33

Hi Tom it saddens me to say i've made that step forward so there's no turning back now even though I think is more time consuming and more tweaking to a degree :)

we can all vouch for your findings grant, your tank stands up to that, great write up btw

Thank you @@Sammy8921

Hi Keith. Yes I used active carbon 24 seven and kept changing it on a regular basis. As for any improvements in fish and corals hand on heart all look exactly the same to me. There's only two differences which is I don't have to clean the glass as Much and don't use is much phos remover.

To me it was no big deal using tap water it's something I always did from day one and tweaked it through the years and as new products came out on the market made it even easier to work for me successfully .and It wasn't until I started getting involved with forums how big a deal it actually was and how controversial it was to people that didn't use it. And caused a rough ride with forums in the beginning. And part of me changing over to RO .Feels I let myself down by going with the flow and

Not having to defend myself any more. Where I save myself money on phos remover I ended up spending more on dosing costing me more in the end where I ended up having to buy a Calcium Reactor so you see where it was costing me more in Phos remover I ended up having to buy more equipment.if you're wondering why

It's because tapwater with conditioner has a high KH .mag. Cal. And the condition even had Iodine. So you see I never had to Dose because with the top ups and the water changes it always kept it up to the levels I was happy with.

very interesting read this, I know one local fish shop who sells ro and makes his salt water with ro but uses tap in his own tank,

I must admit when I upgraded I used tap water as it was 250l extra, and have had no adverse effects.

do you have a pic of your tank?

very interesting read this, I know one local fish shop who sells ro and makes his salt water with ro but uses tap in his own tank,

I must admit when I upgraded I used tap water as it was 250l extra, and have had no adverse effects.

do you have a pic of your tank?