Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

dazlancs

Keeping Your Tank Within Temperature Range During Hot Days Tips.

56 posts in this topic

Look into the running costs between A/C or Chillers first.

Look into the running costs BETWEEN, A/C and Chillers first.

I manage temperature (and water quality) by having a refugium in the garage that is the same size as my display. By doubling the tank volume (two 5ft*2ft*2ft tanks) with one in a cool garage I get very good thermal stability. Putting pipes through the wall is easy, the trick is to have a garage adjacent to your tank room!

you could just freeze tank water and then just put the ice back in the tanks.

Salt water doesn't freeze as hard as fresh water, but it gets just as cold.

this way you don't need to put the containers themselves in the tank.

Those plastic containers from the Chinese should be good.

think its time for me to get the fans out again

i have added a fan that is on a timer that comes on with the halides, pointing more towards the halides than water surface

with all lights off my tank will go to around 25.5,,

without fan it can reach 28.5 if its 26 + outside, since adding the fan it has reduced day temp to around 26-27 so gives me a bit more leeway,

and as it points more at the heat off the lights to stop it getting ther in the first place, evaporation has actually reduced :Icon_applause:

fan was a nice chrome one from B&Q for

hi all,

I to have been suffering from high heat. now running tank with froozen water bottles in lid left up and light reflectors left off.

hi jason

thats the strange thing vwry little evaporation :!!huh:

All,

I would just wish to add thanks to everybody who has commented on this topic. I had a serious problem with my tank during the heat wave that saw temp go to 32 Deg C, way too hot and I started to see the corals getting stressed. Surprisingly though all of my fish and inverts, nem etc were still feeding and swimming as normal.

I visited Cockfields and bought the 4 x Fan unit and sat this at the end of the tank across the light beams. I have T5 lighting so it was easy to just sit this across them and remove the fill panels. Since the introduction of the fan my temperature has been settled to 26/27 and all corals are doing great. The only thing I have to watch is water loss and have to keep producing RO/DI to top up around 3 ltrs per day. The other thing is to not over use the fan either since it fights with the heater. At some point in the future when I have permission from the boss! lol, I will buy a temperature controller.

The 4 x fan unit was

I bought a chiller in the first month of setting up my new tank and i've got to say it's the best thing I did. The tank has been so stable in the cycling process and since and many people have said the chiller is a major contributor to this. Sure, you could could buy an A/C unit but a chiller is made just for ya fishies so if you have them in mind I would say invest in the chiller. More stable salinity, temp and oxygenation are not to be overlooked.

Great find Darren ad Many thanks for the PM on the thread, I fr one will certainly be using Water bottles this summer

Carl

Could this be there Carlos i used to know from Penwortham?

I talked to the Missus about keeping the tank cool her suggestion was paint the cabinet pink and stick hearts on it :/

Edited by AngnAlf