Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

dazlancs

Keeping Your Tank Within Temperature Range During Hot Days Tips.

56 posts in this topic

OK guys i was just reading a for sale section on the net and came across the reason why the guy is selling up.

He had floated some of the cooler packs in his tank to help with the heat issues which a lot of people, myself included, are having at the moment.

Unfortunatley, one of the cooler packs broke and it leaked in to the tank water and wiped out his entire livestock, fish, corals, everything.

I know that a few people on this forum also use these cooler packs and this is just a warning against using them.

My suggestion is to use freshly frozen RO water in a 1.5 or 2 litre bottle, that way if the bottle does leak it's only going to reduce your SG by a slight amount (depending on the size of your tank).

I hope this helps some of you guys and in the long run, saves one of us from a catastrophy such as the poor reefer on the other forum.

Cheers,

Darren

Great find Darren ad Many thanks for the PM on the thread, I fr one will certainly be using Water bottles this summer

Carl

I think fishmans were offering chillers at a good price a few days ago...

I'm hoping with our lounge not facing the sun that we will be ok - but we will see...

Thanks for the heads up darren.

The pleasure is mine mate and thanks for pinning the thread.

I don't want anyone else to have to suffer this kind of devastation.

It must be absolutely heartbreaking :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for that Darren. I've got WS at the moment with the heat, not good.

Oh yeah, me at home... sorry best clear that up eh.

Thanks for that Tre! Nicely pointed out, my 8g nano has WS.

Not a worry tho, i'm not phased by it at all

I've put a purple fur coat and Fedora hat on my tank, and stood it on some Cuban Heels. It is now cool.

Thanks for the warning Darren,

I was using a freezer pack along with some bottled frozen water to cool the tank. Don't think I'll risk the freezer pack anymore :icon_thumleft: :icon_affraid: :icon_affraid:

Why pay the money for a chiller?

why not buy an air conditioning unit and benefit as well?

Im just using a simple clip on fan, seems to be doing the trick thus far!

Though my perc 120 is open top. Suppose that helps. Though with the evap, im losing on average 10ltrs of ro a day :icon_thumright:

The old auto top up is workin overtime. :D

Well we very lucky house very rarely gets above 25c, this due to very thick walls lol, almost 2ft thick, as long as a window is open and the ceiling fan is one we good :icon_thumright: but will bear this in mind just incase for the future :hysterical:

i think i must be lucky as ive never had my tank above 26 degrees. i generaly dont even have to use a fan!!! however the sun hits the room early in the mornig when it is still quite cool and is gon by 11 ish. also we have a big patio door in the room which is always open in the summer.

Well i currently have 3 clip on b&q fans running on the tank and 1 on the sump. As you can imagine the evaporation is massive due to this and i am topping up wayyyyyyyyyy too much in a day. I've been thinking about running the RO unit straight to the tank but i'm not sure exactly what i need. Some sort of solenoid (i think) but dunno.. Answers on a postcard please :D

Been thinking about this problem today regarding my new build.

With it havin a 'wet room' of sorts could I get away with an air con unit for the room if I kept it fairly well sealed?

Just a thought...

Been looking in to the air con route as well as the boy goes to school with the son of a company than sells air con for industrial and consumer use. I'm thinking a portable one on castors with a vent hose (seen em at B&Q for