Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Daz4126

Reef-Face Meet-Up! 31/08/2013 @ Cockfields

200 posts in this topic

Yes my local shops are crap but there are some great shops in the south just further than I'd like to travel in general, your probably right if you take into account all members Cockfields may well be almost central to all off us but I bet over 95% of all members aren't active members at all and have no interest in posting let alone meeting up! All I suggested is you ask members who actually want to meet up then it can be judged where's fair to meet, it may well be Cockfields but it maybe further south!?! Misshaps can happen when travelling with livestock for long distances, I appreciate they can with a delivery to but if they arrive doa from a delivery I would get my money back but if I took them away myself and they died on route I would lose my money unless I wanted to travel back to take whatever back which would be a pita! It seems you think traveling half the country for just a couple of hours isn't a big deal people have jobs, families etc and a couple of months notice may not be enough for some

Pick your items that you want and then just ask them to deliver them to you then, simples! No hassle transporting them back and you will be covered for any DOA. It seems you are just trying your hardest to find reasons not to come rather than actually making any effort to get here. As for over 2 months notice not being enough, how much notice would you like? If there's a few members from down your way that want to come, why not meet up and travel together? If one of you is driving, maybe you could all share fuel costs? 

I've travelled down south just for a couple of hours on a number of occasions Lee without any hassle at less than 2 months notice for concerts, grand prix etc. I too had family and a job at the time. It is possible if you try.

I'm just trying to arrange for us to have a meet up Lee and a day out. I brought back the Featured Tank by request and only about 7 members have nominated tanks. I ran the raffle not long ago - excluding mods and admin, about 5 members entered it and the winner hasn't even bothered to log on and find out that he's won yet! And now it's looking like there's gonna be the same amount of interest for the meet up. I dunno why I bother!   :Get me coat:

being a member of staff is a thankless job, I can sympathise with Daz, i am trying to run the Marine Habitat feature and have had 5 entires from 2 people, Neil tries his hardest to run potm which because of the lack of interest has been moved to bi-monthly so i doubt that having a meet down south would create anymore interest, you would be there and maybe 1 or 2 more but that would be it, the thing is no matter what we do , we will always upset some one and a big portion of the time people can't be arsed doing anything or taking part, there are over 4,000 members yet we get a core of around half a dozen regulars and about the same periodical posters, as the saying goes " You can please some people all of the time and you can please all people some of the time but can never please all of the people all of the time "

I would be willing to jump on a train for a meet up,that's the only way I'd be able to get anywhere.but I'm thinking it would cost me a small fortune to get to cockfields from here :'(

i can see the problem with people getting there, as stated above the only way would be to car share or hire a mini bus, but you would really need to want to come

I drove near 500 miles round trip to deliver a pair of Cinnamon Clowns and collect a pair of Black & White Clowns. I'd much rather that than pay some hairy arsed gorilla in a uniform and a van to try and work out what "Fragile" means. Without doubt, best way of getting livestock to your door is in your own vehicle.

Daz, on the subject of raffles, I don't do raffles. Everyone pays a bit of cash, and one person wins something he doesn't want (usually).

As regards featured tanks. I don't put all my life on the net. It's my tank, and I do it for myself. I don't do it to post up and have people pick holes in it or praise the way I have the rock scaped etc. I just do what I do for my own pleasure and I draw the line there. Any pictures I do post are for factual reasons, not to garner praise from others.

So, it's not that I don't like contributing, it's just that I like to contribute what I choose to.

Finally, I don't often do meets either (because there's usually a little sh!t there who will doubtless get a slap at some point in the near future) so if you lot don't stop bickering and arguing about why it's not in a certain part of the country or whatever, then I'll just stop at home. :laugh:

If you want the truth anything that I want to do without the children has to be planned at the start of the year as Mell has to book all her leave then because her employers are twits, yes it's a pita and I/we miss out on a lot! she has all her leave booked up and the proposed date for the meet she is working and I'm not the kind of dad to palm his kids off so I can go out for the day! My 'excuses' are not because of not wanting to go and I don't really appreciate being told there not, all I suggested was a possible fairer way of setting up a meet

Of course there is nothing to stop members arranging a meet, this is why we have the area parts of the forum. I will not be coming guys, its scary 'up north'!!!

Off to SWMs quickly tomorrow if you want to meet there Lee? Got to pick up a new membrane.

Enjoy the meet guys:-)

I'd love to mate but really can't with the girls, if I drove it wouldn't be a issue, wanted to go there recently to check out some LEDs to but tbh I don't think I'm going to set another tank up now so would only be teasing myself, I really would like to meet some of you at some point and possibly next year Im coming to Manchester for a tattoo so maybe I can meet some of you then

Sounds like a plan for next year then. How come you aren't setting up a tank? You already have the LEDs for it lol

I know mate I just can't see myself having the time for it tbh, and my cash is going on tattoos at the moment and I'm behind my tattoo schedule (I'm a addict lol) had £200s worth yesterday and got £300-£400 booked up for next month! Would still love a reef but not sure I can give the hobby the time and respect it needs to be done properly, but we'll see lol as you say I have the lights! Yes I will be calling the tattooist in Manchester in January as he has I 6-9 month waiting list, then when I have the appointment Mell can book her leave and I can come up north!

Theres a small chance I could make this If we have a new car by then.

Thing is for me,rich and Dom it's a 500+ mile round trip. But me and the gf love road trips

If I've got the spare cash I'm in

Edited by -deano-

Do a round robin ! I'd say there are at least 6 good shops within 20 miles

If there's a few of you, all come up in 1 car and share the fuel costs between you. I agree you should visit a few shops up here. The main two being Cockfields and then Abyss Aquatics in stockport.

and oasis in manchester and even fishmans frags

I'm not a huge fan of Oasis tbh. It's a good place but not in the same league as the other two imho