Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Daz4126

Chinese Houyi Lighting Led Units

71 posts in this topic

Just thought i'd start a thread for those who have bought one of these units to share pics and their thoughts of the lights. Also, those that are interested in the lights can get some info on them before possibly ordering them. 

I'll add pics and videos of mine soon. 

Some pics

IMAG0657_zpsdb0dc012.jpg

IMAG0658_zps5c64b105.jpg

IMAG0670_zps3051e1cb.jpg

IMAG0675_zpsf1192683.jpg

IMAG0672_zps46e3ba95.jpg

Chinese Led units covers a big topic. That's any led unit made in China. Surely they can't all be the same spec and product, can they? On another forum people keep asking where to buy Chinese Leds, and I can't see how anyone can answer that, other than perhaps "China".

Is the idea for people to provide a link to their specific product and give a review of it, maybe?

Houyi Lighting to be specific. I've edited the title. I have the "HY-A01-88x3w-120cm" unit. I got them from ledaquagrow.com

Ah, that's better. See, a friend of mine bought 2 different lots of Chinese Leds based on major forum/Facebook discussions and wild reviews of Chinese Leds, and they were nowt like those you put up. She's saving up for R420r's now that she's realised they weren't all that good.

I have the HY-A03, purchased direct. I didn't realise there was a UK seller. For a few pounds more, when my lights became faulty, I could have had UK back up, loan lights, 2 year warranty and an enthusiastic support network. Unfortunately, I had none of this from the supplier and am still fighting with them now, some 2.5 months down the line.

Luckily the UK seller has repaired the lights for me and thay are good, but my experienced has soured me towards direct imports now.

Mark

I should also add, that I have also seen people with SD card controller problems, LED driver problems and timer problems. Not much else to go wrong on them now!!

think i will stick to t5s just yet

My mate woody has these and his tank is stunning . I ordered some for my new tank whilst a little scotch mist so nor sure how to play it with the lights as i already have an Arcadia series 3 with 250w MH 14k and 2 T8 blues 

It was Woody's tank that persuaded me to buy. When everything is okay, the lights are fine and work well. It is however when things go wrong and you start to look for the (almost non existent) back up.

My opinion? Buy the lights, but buy them from the UK seller.

Mark

Woody must be the lucky one then no problems with his lights what so ever 

I don't think Woody was lucky, more that I was unlucky. As I say, the UK seller would give much more peace of mind for not too much more than a personal import price, plus the aftersales service if you need it.

Mark

My lights cost me $709 incl delivery, which was £470.66 at the time. The same 4 ft unit with CREE LEDs from the UK seller is £872.99!! I don't think the aftersales service and peace of mind is worth over £400 lol

i just brought a Led light , to top up my new tank , i also was put off by buying Chinese only because of the warranty 

i went for UK seller 

55 x Bridgelux 3W LEDs

Dimmer One(28 LEDs): 8 x Cool White 12,000k, 6 x Neutral White 7500k, 6 x Warm White 3500k, 2 x Red 660nm, 2 x Green 520nm, 4 x Violet 420nm

Dimmer Two(27 LEDs): 7 x Royal Blue 450nm, 20 x Blue 460nm90 Degree Lenses

40cm x 21cm x 7cm

Total Power: 120W

£129 should have been £500 

Well here's a video I took when I 1st got the lights. Just to show the 3 channels ramping up, controlling them with the remote. I'll get round to doing a full review of them soon.