Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

reefaddict

Top Reefing Tips

61 posts in this topic
Dont go spending loads of cash on the latest craze... If your water params are not as they should be, there is usually a very good reason and may be simple to rectify.

Overfeeding being one of the major culprits. Buy a good quality flake/pellet. If your not sure, ask... Everyone has their own opinions, some good some not so. Its all down to choice and alot of trial and error.

Oh and dont rush, do regular water changes, test often (with a good quality and in date test kit).

Support Liverpool and send all loose change (even the type that folds) to my paypal account. You will be thanked.

Typical scouser then after people's money lol

Write on you reactors the date you changed you rowa, carbon etc.

Keep records of when you changed bulbs tubes etc.

Check your stock every day for potential deaths/illnesses etc

Do not keep your spare RO water in a semi transparent container in direct sunlight! I know it's obvious but I stupidly done this recently due to lack of storage space

Do not keep your spare RO water in a semi transparent container in direct sunlight! I know it's obvious but I stupidly done this recently due to lack of storage space

Loved that mate :P

Ensure when setting up that you either A: Have a decent surface skimmer/run a protein skimmer or B: Have good water surface agitation.

Loved that mate :P

Ensure when setting up that you either A: Have a decent surface skimmer/run a protein skimmer or B: Have good water surface agitation.

No one but you has seen the other thread so thought I spread my stupidity about a bit!

Edited by Lanicholson

Lol! I'd seen it had gone unnoticed :P

This is a great thread by the way guys. That tip about writing when phos remover/carbon was changed is a great one :)

Dont be afraid to ask what you consider stupid questions.

Try and keep your main display glass as clean as possible. Put if off for a long period of time and its a real pain....

Always half the amount you really spent on an item when your wife asks what it costs. She will still complain about it, so imagine the greif you will get if you told her the real amount :threatenlumber:

Besides, they do it to us with dresses & shoes :laugh:

when you buy new equiptment say it will use less energy so saving on the leccy bill :rofl:

Give your local lfs free stuff you can get from work in exchange for discounts

Depending on how much it cost,always knock £10-£20 off the price u payed and that's the price u tell your oh :D stops him moaning at me

Use a good window cleaning solution for cleaning the outside of your tank and wipe it clean with newspaper. Sponges and cloths leave streaks and are nowhere near as good as newspaper. Also, don't spray it too near the top of the glass, so it doesn't go in the tank!

Use a good window cleaning solution for cleaning the outside of your tank and wipe it clean with newspaper. Sponges and cloths leave streaks and are nowhere near as good as newspaper. Also, don't spray it too near the top of the glass, so it doesn't go in the tank!

I personally wouldn't use a window cleaning solution. I don't want any chemicals near my tank that I haven't chosen myself for the tank.

If I wanted to use something to spray on my glass then I would use vinegar water. It's one of the best things for cleaning windows anyway. You're correct about newspaper though. If you accidentaly spray some vinegar into your tank then no worries... it's a carbon source and will help with your nutrient levels :laugh:

John

Good idea John. I have a lid on my tank and don't spray near the top anyway just to make sure but the vinegar water is a lot safer if you have an open top tank. And cheaper too.