Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

isaac

how to deal with white spot

White spot   96 members have voted

1. 1. When you notice WS what do you do ?

• Nothing, keeps hands out and feed well
    • Medications ( without copper )
    • QT the fish, add Copper based medication
    • FW dipp the fish
    • Turn on a UV filter
    • Turn on ozone unit
    • other, please add in the replies

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
62 posts in this topic

I never do anything when whitespot is noticed, I just make sure water quality is spot on and I am pretty careful that my fish arent stressed at this time in any way. I have had a Scopas tang, Neon goby and a Koran angel which all had whitespot and they have all made a good recovery using this method.

1st option is keep your hands out.... dont put the fish through anymore stress than they already are.

2nd Option - I always used to run UV and Ozone in my last tank, due mainly to have 5 - 6 large Tangs

3rd Option - water quality

4th Option - stocking levels, is there too much in there...

I have just upgraded my tank from a smaller sized 130l aqua one to a aqua reef 400 (450l).

I just noticed one of my yellow coral gobies has suspicious white spots. PANIC! After reading this, should I be right in thinking. Keep water to an optimum and feed well?

The fish is feeding well and isn't lethargic or have any other symptoms. I have lots of corals in the tank as well as shrimp snails and crabs. So meds are not an option. Or are they?

Hi Megan and welcome to reef-face :-)

Have a read of the link below

http://www.reef-face.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/38119-Reef-Safe-White-Spot-Killer

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

Just my two bob.

In the wild ich doesn't re-infest the same host.

The ocean is a big place!

In your tank, it will never die all the while you have fish in it.

The ich will multiply so that a fish cannot cope with the multitudes of the parasite.

I've heard all the feeding and hands out stories before.

It might work for a while but your tank will still have ich waiting for its next meal.

The only way to get rid of this in your tank is remove ALL of your fish for 12 weeks so the ich cannot feed.

You will then need to treat your fish in QT with either hypo salinity or copper.

But the best way to stop this in the first place, is to QT all your fish.

Sound expensive?

Well so is a tank wipe out.

I have had good results from using Garlic extract!

Sorry, you are just fooling yourself.

Garlic is supposed to help appetite and make the fish eat more. There is also indications that using garlic will damage the fishes heart and liver (google it).

Yes feeding will help them eat and give them temporary respite from the ich, but it will remain in your tank for another 28 days to re hatch and repeat the cycle.

Eradicate ich is the only solution.

9ysugymu.jpg

Edited by Martin123

He's not entirely fooling himself Martin. There are some benefits of using garlic as it contains a natural antibiotic. Excessive use can have harmful side effects, but so does excessive use of anything. Healthy fish will be fine and keep the whitespot at bay, their immune system will deal with it, but it will always be in your system. If the fish get stressed, it will weaken their immune system and the fish will start showing signs of WS again. The only way to eliminate it from your tank though is to take ALL fish out the tank for 2-3 months and treat them in QT. This has all already been said on this thread tho.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

IMO best way is to use a QT and drop salinity to 0.019 parasites cannot survive it 

Garlic will not get rid of Ich.

It will just give false hope that it has gone.

Twas all I was saying.....

agree mate 

drop in salinity will see of parasites 

I never said it gets rid of ich. I don't think anyone has said that on this thread

I have had good results from using Garlic extract!

Here?

He said he's had good results. Not that it gets rid of ich. I've had good results using garlic too. It doesn't get rid of ich, just gives good results helping the fish deal with it. Two totally different things.

you can buy garlic enriched food which boosts the immune system