Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

isaac

how to deal with white spot

White spot   96 members have voted

1. 1. When you notice WS what do you do ?

• Nothing, keeps hands out and feed well
    • Medications ( without copper )
    • QT the fish, add Copper based medication
    • FW dipp the fish
    • Turn on a UV filter
    • Turn on ozone unit
    • other, please add in the replies

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
62 posts in this topic

Hyposalinity all the way for me....no meds, no expensive kit...just pure death to ich...lol...

Hands out/feed well with enriched food and ozone (which is on daily anyway).

Not a lover of ozone, not because I think it doesn't work but because I know little about it :lol:

I am with Tom on this one, I think what he is trying to say is prevention is better than a cure. I also use lipsome and I haven't had whitespot in years, I have had a sick clown from fighting but it recovered well due to good water conditions, strong UV and varied diets.

I have a powder blue and as some of you know they are prone to WS but put him in a 10ft tank and I haven't seen WS on him since (previously in a 5ft). Another case of prevention.

If a fish has WS then I leave him alone, although I worry like mad!

Chris

Carl, like im going to tell him anything after that LOL

Got a few pplz coming to me telling me about random deaths and diseases from there atm

Just a note, since I left i know the fish arent being fed anywhere near enough to keep them healthy as a certain person was always moaning at me for feeding them 'too much' then telling me thats why the very few fish died forgetting the fact that the system set up is atrocious and a last minute botch

Can i also say that im not a fan of hyposalinity TBH Its not very good for the fish's osmotic balance

Tom

for people following this it has been updated

i dip all food in garlic! PHEW!

I would be careful of dipping all food in garlic if I were you. There is an arguement that garlic plays hell with fish digestive system.

Garlic only encourages the fish to feed and therefore regain strength from the food it has eaten, there is no evidence (that I am aware of) that suggests the garlic itself does anything.

Chris

Agree with Chris, its something to be used to encourage fish to eat not a cure for anything.

I use a UV filter and ozone , wipes it up almost instantly, a month after it appears it have gone i turn off the UV and reduce the ozone to hourly periods .

there is only one tank this has never worked in and the sump is very badly designed, ive doen this on both sump and sumpless tanks,last outbreak being havign bought a Discus that i didnt notice (Pigeon blood) had it . Donut brain had switched off the UV and i got quite a shower off infection , turned on UV and it just went.

I wont under any circumstance use any chemicals whats the point? If u have fish only in a commercial or domestic situation maybe u use copper ? ive tried hyposalinity in the past but aparently so many strains are adapting, it didnt work for me.

I wouldnt reccomend UV on for longer than to cure the problem , but again its a useful tool if used correctly.

Crypocarion irritans is a parasite , im at odds to belive it just goes away and comes when a fish is stressed and or not stressed, still this is a forum and its all about opinions , and just coz mine are different in soem way im not gonna swing my handbag at any one lmao

Garlic is a great appitite stimulant but it also scours any animal in large doses, something u dont notice in a water enviroment.

Crypocarion irritans is a parasite , im at odds to belive it just goes away and comes when a fish is stressed and or not stressed, still this is a forum and its all about opinions , and just coz mine are different in soem way im not gonna swing my handbag at any one lmao

A non stressed fish creates ample white blood cells to fight of infection and also has better skin defenses. This is especially true for clownfish that when healthy have a very thick mucus layer on their skin.

A non stressed fish creates ample white blood cells to fight of infection and also has better skin defenses. This is especially true for clownfish that when healthy have a very thick mucus layer on their skin.

It would indeed be an exceptable and logical hypothesis for one to say yes its present all the time , and tangs which dont have a great density of mucus probably show it more because of this, also they are used to greater swimming areas so maybe our tanks also stress them more?

This could also be why when u think your tank is clear and u for example upgrade out comes hte WS from nowhere. If tank conditions are not good it gets carried on and on and we see deaths from it?

Somehting else i have read is that along with over use of Ozone overuse of UV can also lead to bad immume systems in fish?

Interesting discussion :D

What a fascinating and informative article Craig and some thought provoking questions asked. Thanks for the link.

Good reading, interesting point on useing garlic as a wormer as it was employed as such many years ago for all sorts of stock , the idea being the animal scoured and the worms left in the rush lol.

I found a year or so back a very interesting article of 5 parts on this disease explaining the stages includeing the gill stage and the amount of dormancy by cysts etc , I got a new PC and found id lost most of my favourites and ive never found it again.

One wonders if most mortalitys from white spot are not unlike distemper in dogs , the virus attacts in this case the parasite, but the animal dies from the devastateing bacterial damage it leaves behind. Gill damage we cant see , nor can we see if the parasite can actually reach internal organs??? Skin infections further lowering the fishes immunity and health , keratitus on the cornea of the eyes due to ingress by parasites( i assume fish have corneas or similar)bacterial damage of the fins delicate tissue and subsiquent invasion by bacteria.

Views on stress and subsiquent appearance of the parasite is there may well be a blood messenger that appears with stress the parasite is triggered by , but didnt u just say that Craig? Got to agree.

Great topic and some very good information coming from all.