Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

isaac

how to deal with white spot

White spot   96 members have voted

1. 1. When you notice WS what do you do ?

• Nothing, keeps hands out and feed well
    • Medications ( without copper )
    • QT the fish, add Copper based medication
    • FW dipp the fish
    • Turn on a UV filter
    • Turn on ozone unit
    • other, please add in the replies

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
62 posts in this topic

This is aimed at helping Jake with his decision and others in the future as everyone does things differently.

My vote is for ...Hands out and feed well.

Reef tank - keep hands out and/or maybe ozone. Focus on the water quality.

Mark

Reef tank - keep hands out and/or maybe ozone. Focus on the water quality.

Mark

Ditto

Keep my hands out, feed well with a little garlic gaurd. Best advise I was given and it worked. the time I had it was down to me reaquascaping and stressing the tang out by moving his home.

Carl

It is my belief that there is a background source of white spot (cryptocryon irritans) in most tanks and that it shows itself when a fish is stressed.

This is because stress causes a raise of cortisone and adrenaline in the fish' blood.

Excess adrenalin can cause an increase in heart rate and respiration which in turn can cause a fishes blood to go acidic.

Excess cortisone reduces a fishes ability to make white blood cells (the disease fighting cells)

These two symptoms seriously reduce the ability of fish to fight off disease and the white spot breaks out.

White spot or marine ICH should not to be confused with velvet disease (Amyloodinium) which is a far greater killer of marine fish and needs to be treated.

Thats my 2p worth.

Others will surely disagree but that is the way of the world and it would be boring if we all thought alike.

is that a very posh way of saying keep hands out Craig ?, :lol:

Yes Dave.

It has always gone away in time for me.

I was just thinkin, to freshwater bath you have to catch the fish, not easy if you have lots of coral and live rock so this not pratical in most place specially as chasing fish around a tank to dip will cause them more stress.

the only medecine i know suppose to be reef safe is oddineox however you spell that lol

I dont know anything about Ozone not going to claim too.

I had Whitespot on my sailfin tang a few days after buying him, I have to be fair to some comments in other thread, most fish in my tank had it, I did a water change via my sump and used the oddineox and to cleared in 3 days, wasnt a problem as I have a fish only system.

I thing the best advice is Nothing, keeps hands out and feed well, Specailly as tangs are very common to whitespot, I know we all have read different things, also have tried different things and also have different idea's, but what might work for our tank might not work in some one else's tank, I am glad this poll as been started as hopefully out of everyone else's idea;s/opinion's we might find something that we all do in common, I have UV units here not installed them yet, but when I got full reef system running, beleive me it be on there.

I look forward to reading ever ones comments and hope that Jake can get his case of whitespot under control and I wish him luck, but after reading over the thread he started, I have to be honest there was alot of confusing advice and ideas, and I was a bit lost what to do, I know we all have our own idea of doing things and thats fair enough, but to be honest we need a cost effective solution, at the end of the day some of the fancy equipment hasnt be around that long and people have been dealing with whitespot since adam was a boy so in my own opinon its not needed.

and yes my spelling is bad lol

i must be lucky, not had any yet, now running ozone aswell so hopefully never will, but have to wait and see.

any problems i have had i`ve always opted for the just sit and watch first approach.

It is my belief that there is a background source of white spot (cryptocryon irritans) in most tanks and that shows itself when a fish is stressed.

This is because stress causes a raise of cortisone and adrenaline in the fish' blood.

Excess adrenalin can cause an increase in heart rate and respiration which in turn can cause a fishes blood to go acidic.

Excess cortisone reduces a fishes ability to make white blood cells (the disease fighting cells)

These two symptoms seriously reduce the ability of fish to fight off disease and the white spot breaks out.

White spot or marine ICH should not to be confused with velvet disease (Amyloodinium) which is a far greater killer of marine fish and needs to be treated.

Thats my 2p worth.

Others will surely disagree but that is the way of the world and it would be boring if we all thought alike.

Nicely put lol, I was with you upto the word "cryptocryon irritans" lol

thanks guys, i cant belive im asking beginner questions after iv been keeping marines for nearly 4 years ! well this is the first time iv ever had it so :lol:

thanks everyone

no worries m8, if you need help then thats what we`re here for. it`s not a beginner Q either m8.

As important as focussing on water quality is focussing on diet, not enough people feed enough or rich enough foods. ENRICHING FEEDS IS VITAL , hence to say WS commonly causes wipeouts (see craigs reply) Cryptocaryon is easily manageable, difficult to totally eradicate. I don't get whitespot at all any more since i started with liposomes and I'm a faffer in the truest sense of the word. If i was to get it i wouldnt be worried because im confident that a week of intense feeding (my filters can hack it) will see the fish correct themselves.

Water quality, i dont just use ozone or UV for when whitespot appears, IMHO it should be used all the time, in whatever way gives you excellent water, if it is used at all so that whitespot doesn't rear its ugly head. the number of people that think just because their nitrogenous wastes are low everything should be ok is unreal. LOOK DEEPER !!!!

Tom

hi guys i got white spot with a powder blue a whitle back and i kept my water the best i could and kept my hands out the tank and about a week later i started to loose fish 1 every couple of days so after hours of reading i was down to my last 3 fish i started to use octozin coz its says its reef safe and within 3 days the 3 i left was back to norm and and the white spot had gone and i had my uv on aswell and all my corals was fine

hope that helps

good luck jake

mike

As important as focussing on water quality is focussing on diet, not enough people feed enough or rich enough foods. ENRICHING FEEDS IS VITAL , hence to say WS commonly causes wipeouts (see craigs reply) Cryptocaryon is easily manageable, difficult to totally eradicate. I don't get whitespot at all any more since i started with liposomes and I'm a faffer in the truest sense of the word. If i was to get it i wouldnt be worried because im confident that a week of intense feeding (my filters can hack it) will see the fish correct themselves.

Water quality, i dont just use ozone or UV for when whitespot appears, IMHO it should be used all the time, in whatever way gives you excellent water, if it is used at all so that whitespot doesn't rear its ugly head. the number of people that think just because their nitrogenous wastes are low everything should be ok is unreal. LOOK DEEPER !!!!

Tom

You should Pass the info onto your past employer M8 :lol: