Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

robinscp

A warning about hydrometers.

40 posts in this topic

salifert refracto - check :)

I have just ordered a bottle only out of interest just to see what if any difference there is

calibrate with this stuff then check against ro

Fauna Marin multi reference solution.

Good for calibrating refractometers and testing the accuracy of your test kits

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Finally received my calibration solution and checked it with the fluid and then again with normal RO water.

Theres no noticable difference between the two but I always thought that the water to be tested from the tank had to be at 20 degrees to give an accurate reading. However having read an article on salt water it states that the refractometer has to be at a temp of 20 and NOT the test sample..

Didnt know that.

Finally received my calibration solution and checked it with the fluid and then again with normal RO water.

Theres no noticable difference between the two but I always thought that the water to be tested from the tank had to be at 20 degrees to give an accurate reading. However having read an article on salt water it states that the refractometer has to be at a temp of 20 and NOT the test sample..

Didnt know that.

Only if it's a ATC refractometer.

Put water on the slide leave for 30 seconds for the water to acclimate then do your reading.

Glad to hear there is no noticeable difference

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I calibrate with plain RO with the refracto at room temp. Never had any issues.

i have always calaibrated with ro

I've always calibrated with 0 TDS RO also got mine double checked at LFS and spot on matched there's.

I do check it with RO once a month and it lives in its case beside my tank so always at room temp and I rinse of with RO after use.