Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

robinscp

A warning about hydrometers.

40 posts in this topic

can come in useful that lee

Surely they cant be all that bad,this is mine using cold tap water. If they were all that unreliable then they wouldnt be on sale?DSC00553.JPG

Personally id rather dip my finger in the water and taste it to measure my salinity rather than use a swing arm hydrometer :-))

They're not always accurate though and they're easily influenced by micro bubbles

Considering the damage an inaccurate reading could cause, is it not worth using a more reliable measuring device?

Refractometers aren't exactly expensive either really

I use a glass hydrometer (float type) swing arms can be good as i have double checked against them but not all are!

Surely they cant be all that bad,this is mine using cold tap water. If they were all that unreliable then they wouldnt be on sale?DSC00553.JPG

Had the one in the picture past 4 years and is pretty damned accurate tbh

I think as long as you look after them, i.e. remember to clean them with fresh RO after every use, they are a good start.

Refractometers are great but as with the cheaper swing arm ones they can also go wrong if they are incorrectly calibrated or not maintained properly. You have to use high quality calibration fluid or its pointless. We use them a lot at vet school and the number which are set up wrong is scary.

Bump.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

reading some of the reports is frightening, grimo's was the same as me so far out

Whst are the details of calibration fluid for a refractometer

Mines just run out

use ro water that is good enough for what we need

Thats what I thought but reading threads from elsewhere it says that RO water is not sufficiently accurate

Ive always used RO but I am now having doubts re the accuracy

ro for me aswell. havnt had to adjust mine since i bought it 12months ago (it has been checked agasint a milwakee (sp?) digital jobby at my lfs as i didnt believe it could hold accuracy for that long lol

Went to my LFS this morning to have my 2 refractometers checked as one was showing 1023 and the other 1026

My LFS doesnt have one, that should not have surprised me but it did especially as he has a marine tank of sorts

Ok so Ive found on line here 2 types of calibration fluid for refractometers one says 0% Brix the other says 60% Brix

Whats that all about, which one do I need

ro is zero salt so should be more than accurate enough