Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

robinscp

A warning about hydrometers.

40 posts in this topic

Spotted this on another forum.

The following picture is a hydrometer full of cold tap water!!! :eusa_whistle:

DSC00374.jpg

That's why a refractometer is an essential bit of kit.

deffo right there craig.

i started with one of those red sea hydrometers & was dissatisfied with that so bought an aqua medic electronic sg meter which caused me a lot of problems as it calibrated incorrectly (unbeknown to me for 18 months) the wife would say "is the salt level ok" & "of course it was" was the reply. over 18 months the salinity crept up & up. problem solved now with a refractometer.

echoing craigs message here "if you do not own a refractometer then think about buying one asap"

bill

It's scary to still hear so many people still using these

i had one of these. it had my salt at 1.23 nev checked my water for me and it was 1.29 :eusa_whistle:

i've never had one of those.

got a refractometer from the start :D

See the temp as well. :eusa_whistle:

This was straight out of the cold tap.

See the temp as well. :eusa_whistle:

This was straight out of the cold tap.

I was just gonna say that thier cold water dont look too cold....lol

I always used to use a floating hydrometer (like those used in beer making) & I found that to be inaccurate as well! I use a refractometer now with no problems. Please note though that when you get one, check it against the shops own 'cos I have also had a faulty refractometer in the past as well!

Andi :eusa_whistle:

I always used to use a floating hydrometer (like those used in beer making) & I found that to be inaccurate as well! I use a refractometer now with no problems. Please note though that when you get one, check it against the shops own 'cos I have also had a faulty refractometer in the past as well!

Andi :hello:

yep too right. after my trials & tribulations with salinity i got them to do this also before leaving the shop.

bill

There is nothing wrong with floating hydrometers, so long as they're a decent make and used correctly ie temp corrected. Floating hydrometers should be far more reliable and accurate than refractometers but unfortunately hobby ones just aren't made as well as they should. I do use a refractometer myself because it's a little easier, but at work I'd trust a hydrometer ahead of a refractometer. Another thing to bear in mind refractometers aren't fool proof, they really should be calibrated/checked occasionally, even if they read RO at zero they could be out when you get upto 3.5%.

Those swingarms do seam like a total waste of time though, you'd be just as well of judging by taste :hello:

Those swingarms do seam like a total waste of time though, you'd be just as well of judging by taste :hello:
Thats my secret out then

Jason where did you get your pinpoint solution from?

I have tried to get some and was un-successful.

They don't call me little Hitler for nothing. :hello: :lol: :lol:

I think first stop sell them as well.

i had one of these. it had my salt at 1.23 nev checked my water for me and it was 1.29 :lol:

Your lucky,

I bought one from a non sponser and it was hell trying to get it to work properly, kept saying I had really low salt levels so being a newbie and just starting to add water / salt to the tank I kept piling the salt in. Enough was enough so took it back for a refund and to get a refractometer instead which worked a treat, from memory I think I was on 1.5 sommit :lol:

Took loads of trips to LFS with tubs full on unsalted RO to get it balanced and back to normal, what a waste, didn't think to keep any of it, just threw it away as it was over salted until Pingu said to keep it and just dilute it down when I needed to do another water change - DOH! Why didn't I think of that :hello:

just bumping this for any new reef keeper's.