Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Haydn

A few pictures of the koi

39 posts in this topic
first livestock, is that a little fox or your dog?? lol im getting excited about getting my pond finished but its not big enough for koi :-(

I was a fox and it was stuck in the hole, we had to get the RSPCA out to catch it, I wasn't going anywhere near a frightened fox. the conversation with their call centre was fun-

ME 'hi I hope you can help me, there is a fox stuck in my empty pond and it can't get out'

RSPCA Lady 'Don't worry foxes a very agile and it will jump out'

ME 'I can't jump out the pond is 2metres deep and the sides are shear'

RSPCA Lady '2 foot is not much for it to jump'

ME 'NO 2 metres 6'6"!'

RSPCA LADY 'OH are you sure thats awfully deep for a pond'

ME 'Yes positive, the pond is for koi'

RSPCA Lady 'are they goldfish'

ME 'Sort of...... but bigger'

RSPCA Lady ' is it a fishing lake'

ME 'No its a garden pond'

RSPCA Lady 'You have a 6 foot deep hole in your garden'

ME Losing the will to live 'YES! with a fox in the bottom of it'

RSPCA Lady ' I'll try to get some one out to you as soon as possible, but it may be tomorrow'

ME 'Look I have a live fox trapped at the bottom of a hole in my garden, it may be injured, please I need someone now'

RSPCA Lady' I'll pass you to my supervisor'

After that it all went smoothy the supervisor got got a man out and they caught the fox with one of those snares on a pole and released it in the garden.

But that conversation will remain forever in my memory!!!!

is there a lot to keeping koi?

what sort of filtration do you use? and pics of the filter?

is there a lot to keeping koi?

what sort of filtration do you use? and pics of the filter?

It depends by what you mean by 'keeping koi' because with koi there are various 'grades' starting at garden centre fish and going to show standard fish. Garden centre fish you can keep in a garden pond bearing in mind they will grow large, so it needs to be large and deep (1.5M is a minimum for koi). As you go up the scale (and price) you probably would need a purpose built pond with a gravity fed filter from bottom drains, mainly so you can see them- whats the point of spending

that conversation would have probably had me screaming at her lol.

hopefully in the future ill have a big pond when i own a house but renting atm ill have to make to with the little pond

wow cheers for that hayden, seeing your pics got me thinking about the big black plastic vats they do around 500ltrs i think and maybe bricking one in, not sure if it would be to shallow based on your previous post, not interested in the expensive stuff just some basic koi,

is the bottom drain essential? and guessing nitrates aren't such an issue as they are in marines, so is biological filtration enough?

in 500l you could do sarasa comets, shubunkins and goldfish, thats what i have

wow cheers for that hayden, seeing your pics got me thinking about the big black plastic vats they do around 500ltrs i think and maybe bricking one in, not sure if it would be to shallow based on your previous post, not interested in the expensive stuff just some basic koi,

is the bottom drain essential? and guessing nitrates aren't such an issue as they are in marines, so is biological filtration enough?

Errm 500ltr vats are what I use to put my koi in to examine them.................. It would be like putting a tang in a nano.

If you have a koi pond a gravity fed filter is the best way to go- the problem is if you are pumping 'dirty' water the pump will liquidise the muck and the settlement areas won't work so well.

and what wrong with a tang in a nano i'm going to add a shoel to my 10 gallon..... :lol:

so even the

and what wrong with a tang in a nano i'm going to add a shoel to my 10 gallon..... :lol:

so even the