Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

Redone

Par readings

121 posts in this topic

Ok guys

I believe it is generally accepted that the minimum ammount of par to keep sps is 90.

Anybody know what the par meter minimum reading should be for other corals such as softies?

I am aiming to get mine so i have a par reading of 90 at the bottom of my 28" tank, lights are 8" above that.

Thoughts, facts and opinions welcome.

Paul

my lights are 28cm above water surface,,

and i got 240 par on my sand bed( tested via Martin )....and i have the leccy bill to prove it :)

good news for me, as i can comfortably place anything anywhere :offtopic:

is it 150's you have on yours Paul ?

and what are your current readings ?

Nev

Yes Nev it's 150's on mine. 150-160 just over halfway down under the 10k's under the 14k in the middle i get 95 after cleaning the glass covers! :) 355 under the 10k's just under the surface.

Not too concerned about mine a i have lps on the deck as you know, will get new lamps though after speaking to Craig though, what i am trying to get is the minimum par for a mostly softy tank if you know what i mean mate? Just to give people an idea of what they need as a minimum really.

Paul

is the par meter in action yet?

Oh yes Matt, i will sort out your reading soon mate, I am away to the lakes tomorrow until Monday but will contact you when i get back, are you down next Sunday for the coral meet?

PAul

i can always make an appearance :)

Ok mate, that would be great but pm me your addy in the meantime and if i can get down next week i will.

Paul

It would be grate if the nwmc had par readings from different lamp manufactures so we knew if the expensive were as good or as poor as the cheap. I am currently having good results from a 250w lamp from a non sponsor that is 17 quid each or buy 2 get 1 free.

Dave

It would be grate if the nwmc had par readings from different lamp manufactures so we knew if the expensive were as good or as poor as the cheap. I am currently having good results from a 250w lamp from a non sponsor that is 17 quid each or buy 2 get 1 free.

Dave

That's the aim Dave, put some sort of table together eventually.

Paul

thats why i'm after it as i've just put my lamps in

Dave

I think I buy my 150w bulbs from the same place and I am very happy with them.

I think I buy my 150w bulbs from the same place and I am very happy with them.

did you post then delete it? lol

Yes i am impressed with your's will wait to see Matt's as well though.

Paul

I forgot the exact numbers. Did I pm them to you?

I forgot the exact numbers. Did I pm them to you?

lol no mate, think you told me over the phone something like 450 just on the surface and very good further down can't remember exactly though.

Paul

1300 on the surface (above the water) 9" from the light

and I think it was 300-350 half way down