Hi and welcome to Reef-Face! Please register to and join our friendly forum community.

Welcome to Reef Face!

Welcome to Reef-Face.co.uk, like most online communities you must register to post/ask questions in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Reef-Face.co.uk by signing in or creating an account.

• Get full access to all the forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Add your location to the Member map
  • Share your reefing experience and learn from others

Click HERE to create a Reef-Face account.

Please note......Registration is a quick and simple process but it does require you to verify your account by email, so please make sure you use a valid email address when creating your account.

If you are already a member,
SIGN IN here

ps. If you are a SPAMMER and intend to sign up in an attempt to advertise - please don't waste your time - you will be flagged up automatically as a spammer by our security software and will be restricted from posting

Thanks

The Reef-Face Team

owlbassboy

owls+isaacs ulns diary

135 posts in this topic

well just did a water test there and i must confess its been quite a few months. was surprised to find the nitrate between 5 and 10ppm. didnt test for phosphate coz i can never read the colour chart think its the salifert kit i cant remember. but we shall see if i can get my nitrates to zero and we shall see if my livestock looks better. oh and for those who dont know my tank is the d&d 24g.

today i started by dosing a full vial of biodigest and then next sunday i will do the carbon dosing using a vodka,sugar and vinegar mixture

Sounds interesting.

Why did you choose a vodka, vinegar & sugar mixture as oppossed to one type only?

Chris

how about a before & after pic to see the progress?

why have you choosen to do the vodka, sugar & vinegar?

what do you mean one type like bioptim or just one of the vodka sugar or vinegar individually. would you recommend it that way. do you have an article on say just vodka dosing as i would have no idea how much to dose as ive only got an article on carbon dosing

Does the sugar make the alcohol stronger? :Icon_applause:

now yous have really threw a spanner in the works lol ill maybe jus go for bioptim next sunday lol

Mate you always confuse the hell out of me, far too technical lol...

now yous have really threw a spanner in the works lol ill maybe jus go for bioptim next sunday lol

if thats what you want to do mate why change? i have heard good & bad reports of doing it.............i guess the hardest part is finding the balance between the 3

I have used vodka for years so obtain 0 nitrates, I do not currently use and my nitrates are 10-15. I plan on restarting vodka to drop it again. It will take roughly 2-3 weeks to drop it to zero again.

If you like I can write an article on vodka usage, the pros and cons?

Dosing three seperate carbon sources just makes it more difficult to establish quantities to dose.

Does it have any benefits?

Chris

Chris,

i for one would be very very interested in this if you can. Make it in laymans terms too ???

how much would you dose for a 100l nano chris. would be great to do a nano

Chris,

i for one would be very very interested in this if you can. Make it in laymans terms too ???

I will work on it this week mate.

Chris

how much would you dose for a 100l nano chris. would be great to do a nano

1.0ml - 1.2ml per 100 litres but it is a gradual increase. Using it on a nano is a lot more risky than on a large tank. Easily done but softly softly catch a monkey.

IMO I would look to do .2ml to start for a few days and gradually increase over a period of 2 weeks to 1ml per 100 litres. Check regularly your nitrates and ensure plenty of oxygen/gas exchange during the process.

If at any time you experience a white film on the glass then you know you are getting there but don't despair if you don't. If this happens immediately cut all vodka dosing by half for future dosing and watch your nitrates drop slowly. It can take 1 week to months so patience is the key and try not to quicken the process.

Triple distilled vodka :lol:

Chris

oops i didnt mean to write would be good to do a nano lol i meant to write would be good to do a write up lol.

cheers for the info does it have to be triple distilled??

there have been quite a few writeups where reefers where getting big algae blooms when using VSV,

but when they switched to just vodka, it disappeared :D