isaac

Yellow Tang

21 posts in this topic

I`ll start the first one guys, if you read the overview for this sub-forum above it`ll tell you what this is about. Hopefully it will help answer some questions for people looking to buy certain fish.

anyway here we go...

paddy1-1.jpg

This is Paddy my yellow tang, i`ve had him about 2 1/2 years i got him at the same time as my purple tang, he has grown faster than the purple tang and does bully him every now and again. He gets on with all the fish in my tank which are a mix of other tangs larger and smaller, clowns etc. He happily cruises the tank munching on any algae that may appear on the rocks, when not eating this he eats anything that goes into the tank (food wise).

i think these are a must for a reef tank that is big enough just because of the colour they add to the tank.

Thanks for looking.

Strange is'nt it? I went exactly the same way, Purple & Yellow Tangs added at the same time. My yellow is the same, growing at a slightly faster rate than the purple, but the difference being, mine are inseperable! My yellow has had to be quarantined twice in the nearly four years that I've had them, both times the yellow has been removed, the purple has stopped eating 'til the yellow had been returned. You're absolutely correct about the colour they bring to any marine tank.........every tank should have one! They seem to do exceptionally well in the home aquarium, as long as they're provided with enough greenstuff (nori etc...), same as for most tangs!

I've seen some particularly 'scrawny' yellows 'bloom' when they've been in their new homes for a couple of months. All in all, an absolutely fantastic fish for new or experienced fishkeepers.

Andi :(

540038292_a2c9ee93a7.jpg

Not my pic I'm afraid but my favourite one of Yellow Tangs - taken in Hawaii of course. We tend to overlook their beauty because they are so frequently seen, a group in a large aquarium takes some beating IMO.

Mark

This is my YT, this used to belong to Fishman who had him for 4 years and I've had him for around 20 months, so he's at least 6 years old.

yt-2.jpg

At approx 5" he doesn't seem to be growing very fast, perhaps growth slows down as they get older or maybe he's got as big as he's going to.

Fantastic fish that gets on with all the other fish in my tank, including a sailfin and a vampire tang. For a tang, yellow tangs seem much less susceptible to whitespot than other members of the family and mine eats just about anything and is very, very greedy. In my experience, completely reef safe and as already said, every tank (big enough) should have one for that pure splash of yellow! One minor drawback is that as they get bigger, they make a lot of poop! (usually green) :lol:

yellow tangs are one of my fave fish. they have a great personality. each one is completley different. they look stunning. and are ( imho ) very easy to keep when you have the right tank. mine never bullies or gets bullied. eats most of the algea.. although i think he has got lazy. just eats when i feed at the mo :( heres a pic : i think there a good 1st tang to have as they are not so prone to white-spot/ICH. and they are preety cheap i paid very little for this guy from big-blue about 5 months ago now. this ones called bubbles ( from finding nemo ) :

Picture020.jpg

Picture026.jpg

no reef tank is complete without one......beautiful fish eating anything flake, frozen, nori & constantly grazing on the rocks

out of all my fish the yellow tang was the boss of the tank.........he would often give any new fish a rough ride

P1010871.jpg

P1010865.jpg

I`ll start the first one guys, if you read the overview for this sub-forum above it`ll tell you what this is about. Hopefully it will help answer some questions for people looking to buy certain fish.

anyway here we go...

paddy1-1.jpg

This is Paddy my yellow tang, i`ve had him about 2 1/2 years i got him at the same time as my purple tang, he has grown faster than the purple tang and does bully him every now and again. He gets on with all the fish in my tank which are a mix of other tangs larger and smaller, clowns etc. He happily cruises the tank munching on any algae that may appear on the rocks, when not eating this he eats anything that goes into the tank (food wise).

i think these are a must for a reef tank that is big enough just because of the colour they add to the tank.

Thanks for looking.

Hi Guys

Love these fish, colour and movement, how could anyone not fall in love with them? Had mine for about a year and have had no trouble at all. I put them in to stop my coral beauty bullying my kole tang, he has so many targets now he's lost intrest altogether.

As you can see from my photo it's hard to catch all of them at once, but i think the image does show the speed and power of these fish. I am still trying to catch them, perhaps one day lol .

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Regards Martin

very nice Martin,

I have had my Yt for aroud 5 years now, as already said they are a nice friendly fish

feed well and for me a nice reef safe fish, mine is a big fatty :D

2009_01220030.jpg

Nev

Here's a pic of mine misses name her summer had her about a year started off at an 1" now hes coming close to 5". I only wish I bought more than one at the start I love his colour.

YellowTang.jpg

Anna

011-1.jpg

I got my YT (Anna) for my Anniversary last year at around 3 inches now grown to 4 ish. She is the Mumma of the tank and is a great fish to watch as she cruises in and out of the gaps in the rock. I feed her Nori 3 times a week and she also loves flake and small Krill. As most say they give off a great splash of yellow and brighten up any home Aquarium of a decent size. I am now at the point where I need to upgrade to make a happy home as she is getting a wee bit big for my tank I will then buy her a nice size tank mate to cruise with. :D

Danny

anyway here we go...

paddy1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hi again guys

I now i have already put a picture on here, but you cant have to much of a good thing lol.

Here are a couple of mine having a dance.

DSC_0183-1.jpg

Regards martin

Are these guys ok to keep in pairs or small groups ?? if put in at the same time ?

Are these guys ok to keep in pairs or small groups ?? if put in at the same time ?

Yep' they're best introduced all at the same time, but over time their numbers may dwindle a bit as the weakest tend to get 'culled'. Here's some pic's of my fatty Bart! (now I've learned how to post pics' LOL).

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Andi :P

hi all

would i be able to have one of these in my 260 vision, all the pic's look great :lol:

cheers Adam

group1.jpg not my pic but very nice and my one off yellow tang had him 4-5 years now Picture081.jpg